Director of the Institute of the Terezín Initiative says story of Czechoslovak Romani partisan could raise awareness of Roma Holocaust
Last month a two-day international conference about Romani victims of the Holocaust was held in Prague by the Institute of the Terezín Initiative and the Antikomplex association in collaboration with the ROMEA organization and other partners. Experts on documenting Holocaust victims and on modern history in Central Europe discussed the current state of research in the area of the Roma Holocaust and their experiences with documenting Holocaust victims generally.
"We have experience with education and research about the Shoah, the Jewish Holocaust. We can take advantage of that methodology to commemorate - and educate people about - the Roma Holocaust," Tereza Štěpková, director of the Institute of the Terezín Initiative, told news server Romea.cz.
"However, it is necessary to have a broad discussion about this in order to ascertain how to work with that methodology in this case," she said. "A very important role is played by strong cases that are supported by documentation, facts, numbers and verification."
"We need a story like Anne Frank's", Štěpková said, mentioning the recently-published story of the Czechoslovak Romani wartime hero Jozef Serynek."That is one of the stories that has the potential to capture the attention of the broader public."
- PHOTOGALLERY: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- US Chargé d’Affaires at Roma Holocaust site: I pay tribute to the Czech Government's pledge to solve the problem of the pig farm
- FULL VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memory of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- Czech Republic: Conference begins in Prague today about historical experience of Romani people as Holocaust victims
- Annual commemoration of the Holocaust of the Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, is postponed due to the pandemic
- Czech clergyman proposes the readers themselves choose the names of Holocaust victims to be read on Yom Hashoah this year, whether Jewish or Romani
- American author Paul Polansky has passed away
- Romani film festival in Berlin gives special recognition to film about removing pig farm from WWII-era concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Documentary on WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic screening TONIGHT ONLINE
- Gwendolyn Albert: "I believe the illegally sterilized women will be compensated"
- Exhibition in Czech capital shows newly-identified photographs of the deportations of Jewish people from Prague during the Holocaust
- Czech library to exhibit all designs submitted for the future Lety u Písku Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti
- Czech demolition of pig farm on former WWII-era concentration camp for Roma delayed one year, future new memorial said to be unaffected
- Holocaust survivors and remembrance organizations object to how younger generation is using TikTok to commemorate victims
- Czech ceremony commemorating Romani prisoners sent to Auschwitz on 20 August attended by more than 150 people
- Slovak Prime Minister says the Holocaust and its Romani victims must be remembered so that its "bloody history" will never be repeated