Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
As of today in the Czech Republic more than 3.6 million people have received at least one dose of vaccine against COVID-19, according to authorities. One of those people is Karel Karika, vice-mayor of Ústí nad Labem municipality and chair of the Czechoslovak Romani Union (Československá romská unie).
Karika says he believes it is exactly vaccination that will return us all to normal life. "Many people in our community believe they do not have to get the vaccine because they already have antibodies or contracted COVID-19 asymptomatically. However, it is necessary to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus as soon as possible, and vaccination can make a fundamental contribution to that," the politician told news server Romea.cz last week, adding that he has already received one dose of the Pfizer vaccine and will be receiving the second dose on 14 May.
"Please do not succumb to all the haters or to the disinformation that this pandemic will resolve itself. The sooner we are all vaccinated, the faster we will all return to normal," Karika said.
The pandemic situation in the Czech Republic has been improving for several weeks now, and along with lower daily numbers of new cases of infection, the number of people hospitalized with the novel coronavirus is also declining. As of the morning of 9 May, the number of confirmed cases per 100 000 inhabitants during the last seven days was 102, down from 107 the day before, according to the website of the Czech Health Ministry.
Vaccinations in the Czech Republic began at the close of 2020 and are meant to be the main way to improve the situation. As of the evening of 8 May, 1 056 926 people have been completely vaccinated against COVID-19 with two doses, while 3 628 177 doses total have been delivered.
Among persons older than 70, who are in the group most at risk of severe illness or death if they contract the virus, there are still many to be vaccinated, according to previous statements by Czech Health Minister Petr Arenberg (for ANO), and almost two-thirds of those not yet vaccinated are actually registered with a GP. One out of six senior citizens aged 70 or older has not yet registered for vaccination at all.
- Czech doctor explains how the COVID-19 vaccines were developed so quickly for ROMEA TV
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Jan Dužda: Vaccination is the most effective weapon against COVID-19, Czech authorities need to campaign about its effects and importance
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- MEP Peter Pollák, a Romani community member from Slovakia, posts footage of his vaccination against COVID-19 to combat conspiracy theories influencing the community
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- Czech bill to compensate forcibly sterilized women passes second reading, as does bill to close institutions for children under three
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Slovak investigation into police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement last year still ongoing
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here