Legendary Romani musician Rudolf Bagár has passed away
On 24 January, the Museum of Romani Culture in Brno, Czech Republic posted to its official Facebook profile that the legendary musician Rudolf Bagár, a longtime collaborator of the museum, has passed away. "Today we received with great sorrow the news of the death of an extraordinary human being and legendary Romani musician, Rudolf 'Rudka' Bagár," the announcement read.
Mr Bagár is featured in the book Amendar, published by the museum, as one of the eminent Romani figures profiled there. As a schoolchild he used to perform in his family's band at parties and weddings; he mastered the viola, but as was the custom, like most Romani musicians he managed to play other instruments too, such as the accordion or double bass.
The family performed, for example, in a 1964 documentary capturing folk music produced by Slovak Television, "Zem spieva" ("The Earth Sings"). When Mr Bagár was 16 his family moved to Brno.
Along with his brothers Jan, Josef, Milan "Beňo" and his cousin, Gejza Horváth, he established the Bagár Family Band there. That ensemble successfully performed a modern repertoire all over Czechoslovakia.
In 1983 they moved to Prague, where they performed at the Prague Cultural Center together with violinist Jan Oračko. That group enjoyed great success with a folk repertoire, performing in hotels in Prague that were prestigious at the time (e.g., Hotel International, Hotel Panorama).
Mr Bagár was also a longtime collaborator with violinist Eugen "Janko" Horváth and was one of the best Romani musicians of the second half of the 20th century. The Bagár Family Band's performances were recorded, for example, in the 1977 film "Cikánské melodie života" ("The Gypsy Melody of Life") directed by Jan Fuksa.
- Romani singer Věra Gondolánová has passed away
- Svatopluk Karásek, former Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner, politician, religious figure and songwriter, has passed away
- Rajko Djurić, academic, author and former president of the International Romani Union, has passed away
- Famous Roma Rights Activist László Bogdán Has Passed Away
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Juliana Vodrážková: Josef Bánom has passed away
- Romani community member Stanislav Holomek has passed away in Germany
- Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
- Věra Bílá, legendary singer from the Romani community, has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech Republic: Eva Davidová, an ethnographer who loved Romani people, has passed away
- Hungary: József "Choli" Daróczi, translator of the New Testament into Romanes, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Romani broadcaster and educator Hilda Pášová has passed away
- Eduard Oláh, sculptor and stonemason who designed memorial to the Romani victims of Hodonín concentration camp, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Professor Ctibor Nečas, a pioneer in researching the history of the Roma, has passed away
- Internationally renowned Romani artist Damian Le Bas has passed away
- Ladislav Body, Romani man elected MP in the former Czechoslovakia, has passed away
- Emílie Machálková, a Czech Romani Holocaust survivor, has passed away
- Czech Republic finally sees opening of permanent exhibition at the Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in Moravia
- VIDEO: "Kneeling on the neck means death" - debut from Romani rapper Filip Šenki in the Czech Republic
- Czech art competition for works about the Holocaust of the Roma announces winners this week
- Romani activist Štefan Tišer has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jan Rác will take place tomorrow, Friday, 4 June, in Karviná, Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jiřina Šiklová to be held tomorrow in Prague
- Jan Rác, Romani activist and researcher, has passed away
- Czech Charter 77 signatory and sociologist Jiřina Šiklová has passed away, advocated for Romani equality
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture commemorates Holocaust victims in online ceremony
- Romani activist Rudolf Zajda has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- American author Paul Polansky has passed away