LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
On Sunday, 2 August, a commemorative ceremony for European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day will take place at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, beginning at noon with the Czech national anthem and the hymn of the Romani prisoners of the Nazi concentration camps. After the laying of floral offerings at the monument, there will be a spiritual reflection and cultural program.
On this occasion, the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust in the Czech Republic (VPORH) will give its annual Award for Humanity to Gwendolyn Albert for her longstanding activity in defense of human rights, especially those of the Romani women who have been forcibly sterilized in the former Czechoslovakia and Czech Republic. ROMEA TV will broadcast the commemorative ceremony live online.
"As a consequence of these exceptional times we were forced this year to move our annual commemorative ceremony at the Lety Cultural Heritage Memorial, which is usually held on 13 May, to 2 August. We have chosen this date because we will be remembering what happened at Auschwitz-Birkenau in what was called the Zigeunerlager there," said Čeněk Růžička, the chair of the VPORH.
"During the night of 2 August and morning of 3 August, 76 years ago, German Nazis murdered upwards of 3 000 Romani men, women and children in the gas chambers there," the VPORH chair recalled. The event is being convened by VPORH with the support of the Czech Culture Ministry, the Foundation for Holocaust Victims, and the Museum of Romani Culture.
The ceremony will be held at the Lety Cultural Heritage Memorial, where some victims of the concentration camp were buried in unmarked graves during the war. You can find information about free transportation options to the event here.
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: I hope the law to compensate victims of forced sterilization will soon be adopted
- Forced sterilizations in Europe and the USA and their consequences for today
- Czech state may finally compensate forced sterilization victims
- Elena Gorolová: Some of the forced sterilization victims have died, but we are still fighting for compensation
- Elena Gorolová, who campaigns for compensation for forced sterilization, featured on Czech talk show
- Commentary: Czech Republic, Slovakia must compensate the victims of forced sterilization while they are still alive
- ROMEA to Czech President: Romani life in communist Czechoslovakia included forced assimilation, forced sterilization of women, segregated education
- Czech PM meets with forced sterilization victims and their representatives about compensation
- Czech Republic: Forced sterilization will be focus of academic and public discussions
- Czech and Slovak Victims of Coercive Sterilization Await Justice
- Czech researcher at Romani genocide commemoration: Compensate the victims of illegal sterilizations
- Report on the coerced sterilization of Romani women in the Czech Republic describes last 50 years through testimony
- UN Human Rights Committee asks Slovak Government for independent body to investigate the forced sterilizations of Romani women
- Czech Govt Roma Council reviews Romani Holocaust sites, victim database, and compensation for involuntary sterilizations
- Analysis: Swiss Parliament approves law on "solidarity aid" to victims of forced sterilization
- Elena Gorolová on forced sterilizations: We seek compensation, nobody will ever restore our motherhood
- Czech Republic: Romani women forced to undergo sterilization tell their stories through theater
- OSCE/ODIHR Event to Focus on Justice and Redress to Roma Victims of Forced Sterilization in the Czech Republic
- Stanislav Tomáš, who died in police custody, laid to rest in Teplice, Czech Republic. Civil society and his family call for his death to be properly investigated
- Traditional commemorative ceremony dedicated to the Romani victims of Nazism will be held on Sunday, 1 August at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Czech local archive publishes digitalized records online of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety
- Memorial gathering at the site of Stanislav Tomáš's encounter with Czech Police turns into protest march stopped by riot units at police station
- ROMEA TV WILL BROADCAST LIVE 14:00 CET: Memorial gathering for Stanislav Tomáš in Teplice, Czech Republic
- Čeněk Růžička: I know I wouldn't survive even three minutes of a knee to the neck, to say nothing of six, mainly because of stress
- Romani community turns site of young man's death in Czech town into a place of reverence
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture commemorates Holocaust victims in online ceremony
- Czech documentary film LETY will screen online for free on 13 May, followed by live chat with producers
- Annual commemoration of the Holocaust of the Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, is postponed due to the pandemic
- LIVE BROADCAST: Elena Gorolová and European Commission Vice-President Jourová open international conference on anti-Roma racism
- American author Paul Polansky has passed away