LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AT 17:30 CET: Prague begins celebrating International Romani Day
Today will be the gala launch of the Prague celebrations of International Romani Day. Celebrations will last in Prague and other locations around the entire Czech Republic until Monday, 8 April, when they will culminate in a gala evening at the Archa Theater.
ROMEA TV will be broadcasting the beginning of these celebrations live online. The official launch of this jubilee fifth year will begin at 17:30 on Václav Havel Square in Prague on the occasion of the opening of an exhibition of photographs called "Futoroma" from the workshp of the travelling Romani gallery Phundrado Vudar (Open Door).
This year the celebrations are dedicated to the memory of the late Věra Bílá, a beloved singer. There will be a book of condolences open on the square today that will remain there until 8 April for mourners to write in.
On Saturday, 6 April, a memorial concert to honor Bílá will be held at the Korunní Street theater (Divadlo v Korunní). Eminent non-Romani and Romani figures from the cultural scene and political life have confirmed their participation in that event.
International Romani Day is a day when Romani people worldwide celebrate the richness of their culture. It is also an opportunity to reflect on the issues and situations faced by Romani people on a daily basis, whether in majority societies or inside their own communities.
- Czech art competition for works about the Holocaust of the Roma announces winners this week
- Romani child actor from The Painted Bird rejects tv role in the Czech Republic of "bad g*psy child"
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- VIDEO: Igor Kmeťo, Jr., Monika Bagárová, Jan Bendig and others release new song for International Roma Day
- US administration greets Roma on 8 April, Romani flag up at the US Embassy in Prague
- Alexander Soros: We celebrate the identity, self-determination and unity of Roma, Open Society Foundations will always support them
- MEP Peter Pollák on World Roma Day: Mere declarations of willingness to solve problems not enough, it's time for results
- Czech Foreign Minister on World Roma Day: Fighting for equality is an integral part of Czech foreign policy
- Chair of the Czech Pirates: Let's not trip the Roma up, let's treat them with the dignity they deserve, as equals