New photos of much-maligned housing estate in the Czech Republic published by Romani association
Czech Internet is full of scary stories about the Chanov housing estate, where practically all the residents are Romani, and in the imaginations of many people here it is "worst" housing estate in the country (and was long before the Internet existed). What does Chanov actually look like today, though?
The Aver Roma association, which is based at Chanov, has published a gallery of photographs of what Chanov looks like today on Facebook. The housing estate is located about two kilometers from the town of Most on a hill west of Chanov settlement, which is part of the municipality of Obrnice.
The housing estate was built in 1978, and over time a primary school and 13 residential blocks with roughly 400 apartments were built there. Romani people living in Starý Most, a town that had been demolished in order to mine brown coal deposits beneath it, were gradually relocated to the Chanov housing estate.
- Czech local politicians hold stormy meeting with non-Romani and Romani residents where long-refuted antigypsyist hoaxes and stereotypes resurface
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin
- Best Reality, Stars reality corporation s.r.o., DůmRealit.cz, Broker´s Team, CENTURY 21 Finem caught on tape rejecting Roma tenants in Czech Republic, only CENTURY 21 apologizes
- Czech local zones to cancel housing benefits create more poverty, the biggest one is Ústí nad Labem
- Czech housing benefit rules become more strict as of 1 July
- Emil Voráč: In the Czech Republic, nonprofits able to integrate Roma are often blocked from financing
- Czech town cancels commission for container housing as too costly - which local opposition politicians have argued all along
- Vojtěch Lavička: Ghettos in the Czech Republic are determined by poverty, nobody judicious believes they can disappear
- Czech town commissions construction of controversial modular housing units for Romani area, council meeting described to ROMEA TV by local assembly member
- Roma children electrocuted while playing in a Belgrade settlement
- Czech mayor gets Romani resident to endorse segregated "container housing", others still oppose it, including Architects without Borders
- Czech court hears defamation case against man who insulted a member of the Govt's Roma Council in the media
- Alena Gronzíková: Czech landlords will not rent to Roma even with good references and steady incomes
- Czech town provides no aid as Romani families are made homeless during COVID-19 pandemic
- Despite COVID-19 state of emergency, landlord summarily evicts five Romani families in Czech town
- Czech town's project to install "container housing" on mostly-Romani housing estate published online by opposition local assembly member
- Czech NGOs say lawmakers want to cut welfare despite impending social crisis
- Local councillor in Czech Republic sparks outrage and petition against installation of "container housing" in Romani neighborhood