Petition seeking first reading for bill to compensate forcibly sterilized women delivered to Czech lower house
Supporters of the women who have been forcibly sterilized in the former Czechoslovakia and present-day Czech Republic delivered a petition to Czech MP Helena Válková, chair of the Chamber of Deputies' Petition Committee and Czech Government Commission for Human Rights, calling on MPs to begin a first reading of the bill to compensate those who have been forcibly sterilized. The petition was signed by almost 240 people over the course of several days.
Válková told those delivering the petition that it would be reviewed by the Petition Committee today, 22.9. It is likely the bill could be included for discussion during the lower house session that begins 29 September, most probably on 30 September.
- EP calls on EC to draft a law on the equality, inclusion and participation of Romani people and on combating antigypsyism
- Romani women call on Czech MPs to take the first step toward compensating forcibly, illegally sterilized persons, 150 figures support them
- VIDEO: Commemoration at former concentration camp in Czech Republic remembers Romani victims of Auschwitz, Human Rights Commissioner expresses support for a Romani Commissioner
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity to Gwendolyn Albert
- Željko Jovanović: Roma Resistance Day as a Moral Compass
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: I hope the law to compensate victims of forced sterilization will soon be adopted
- Forced sterilizations in Europe and the USA and their consequences for today
- Slovak court compensates illegally sterilized Romani woman after 15 years
- Some Czech minorities, NGOs consider nomination of Human Rights Commissioner as ombudswoman a good choice
- Czech Government adopts neutral position on bill to compensate women who were illegally sterilized
- Czech MPs draft bill to compensate women who have been forcibly sterilized
- Czech state may finally compensate forced sterilization victims
- Elena Gorolová: Some of the forced sterilization victims have died, but we are still fighting for compensation
- Elena Gorolová, who campaigns for compensation for forced sterilization, featured on Czech talk show
- Czech bill to compensate forcibly sterilized women passes second reading, as does bill to close institutions for children under three
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- Czech parliamentary committee overwhelmingly supports bill to compensate forcibly sterilized women
- Roma children electrocuted while playing in a Belgrade settlement
- Synodal Council of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren calls on ombudsman to apologize for anti-Romani remarks
- Czech MPs support bill to compensate illegally sterilized women
- Slovak organization wins international award for aid to Roma during the COVID-19 crisis
- Elena Gorolová, spokeswoman for the illegally sterilized, calls on Czech MPs to support first reading of bill to compensate them
- Is Czech compensation for forced sterilizations in sight?
- Czech Finance Minister supports bill to compensate illegally sterilized women
- Gwendolyn Albert: "I believe the illegally sterilized women will be compensated"
- Exhibition in Czech capital shows newly-identified photographs of the deportations of Jewish people from Prague during the Holocaust