Popular Romani singer Bertík Girga posts emotional video from Czech hospital telling people COVID-19 is real
The popular singer Bertík Girga from the Romani community in the Czech Republic has contracted the novel coronavirus and had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital. He posted the information through a live broadcast on social media.
"I am not doing this broadcast so people will feel sorry for me. Believe me, this could happen to you," he warns in the video.
"There are still know-it-alls around who will claim there is no virus here or that it's being exaggerated," Girga says in the emotional video. "Friends, pals, be careful. This is no joke, you can't imagine what it's like. My entire body aches and I can't breathe," he says with difficulty.
"Don't listen to those know-it-alls demonstrating against facemasks ... You won't believe what this is like until you have it, but by then it will be too late," the singer says in the video.
Several famous figures from the Romani community have contracted the novel coronavirus during the pandemic, but some Romani people continue to share disinformation through social media and are downplaying the devastating effects of the virus. In October the famous Romani blogger Jozef Kmeťo died of COVID-19, the famous Romani journalist Jarmila Balážová has also gone through it, singer Igor Kmeťo was also hospitalized with it, and singer Monika Bagárová fortunately had just a light course of the disease.
- Petr Mati, social pedagogue, tells Czech Health Minister his communication style about COVID-19 is demotivating
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Jan Dužda: Vaccination is the most effective weapon against COVID-19, Czech authorities need to campaign about its effects and importance
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- Czech town provides no aid as Romani families are made homeless during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- Czech Pirates criticize Govt report on education of Romani children for not reflecting COVID-19 impact and lack of access to distance learning
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- During Czech COVID-19 pandemic, NGO distributes more than 80 laptops to Romani students for distance learning
- COVID-19 virus mutation means Czech Republic introducing quarantine for arrivals from Britain, flights stop today at noon
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- Czech Govt to divert billions of crowns from the EU away from social services even as COVID-19 increases demand for debt counseling
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- Romani activist Rudolf Zajda has passed away in the Czech Republic
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- Charlie Chaplin's granddaughters making documentary film about his Romani heritage
- Two brothers of Radek Banga object to his remarks about Roma in Czech media interview and his portrayal of their family in his book
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Slovak investigation into police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement last year still ongoing
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here
- Czech hospital refuses to examine young Romani man - by the time doctors agreed to see him, he died