Renáta Kováčová on the death of the Romani man in Žatec: Exonerating autopsy results impossible to believe
My head is still spinning from the idea that somebody can walk into a pizzeria alive, never to leave again. I am not afraid to say that I was also quite frightened and puzzled by the initial autopsy results according to which that young man died without any third-party involvement.
Am I really supposed to believe that somebody just up and dies at the age of 26? Naturally I do not believe that.
After watching the video filmed inside the pizzeria, on the audio track of which we can hear the person who made the recording say that the victim "took quite a blow", it's not possible to believe those results. Rumor also has it that a food server there is supposed to be a martial arts master, and if so, then it must have have been clear to him what is also clear to me: If I kick somebody in the chest or neck, that blow can be fatal.
A person who is involved in martial arts should also know that using martial arts elements outside of a sanctioned competition is banned, precisely because it can harm somebody or even kill them. From the CCTV footage of the victim at the bus station, which was taken shortly before the incidents at the pizzeria, it is apparent that a bus driver managed to intimidate the young man to such a degree that he ran away.
In that footage the young man seems confused, he evidently is afraid, there are no signs of aggression. Then I have to ask why the parents were not allowed to identify the body of the deceased?
After all, that is standard procedure in such cases. Is the reason, perhaps, that the assailant has ties to the criminal police and other police units?
Or was it, perhaps, that the deceased was so battered that the parents would not have been able to stay in control of themselves if they had seen their son? That, of course, changes nothing about the fact that the Police of the Czech Republic proceeded illegally when they refused a viewing, in my opinion.
I am doing my best to believe that the assailants did not attack with the intention of killing the man, but it's hard to believe that. A 26-year-old has died who had two children and his entire life ahead of him, just because nobody was able to grab him by the collar and take him outside.
I am demanding and I am hoping for a fair investigation of this case and harsh punishment for the attackers. I hope this scandal will not be brushed under the carpet and that we will see an objective investigation.
- Tomáš Ščuka on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: We do not support antigypsyism and we insist on objectivity!
- Lucie Oračková on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: Czech Police are not protecting us
- The final hours of life of the young Romani man who died at a Czech pizzeria
- Czech Republic: Pizzeria management says Romani man who died there attacked customers, who "detained him until police arrived"
- Michal Miko on the death of a Romani man in Žatec: What next?
- Czech Police said to have prevented parents of deceased Romani man from seeing his body before the autopsy
- Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
- Patrik Banga: Dear Czech Police, 27-year-olds do not just up and die
- Czech Police say autopsy finds young Romani man's death was not caused by a third party
- Czech Republic: Two local assemblies memorialize Romani man's death
- Czech Republic: Young Romani man has died after a scuffle, no charges filed yet
- Former secretary for Czech ultranationalist party rejects indictment over his remarks about minorities
- Czech football fans who assaulted African man on Prague tram have not been banned from matches
- Czech High Court reduces sentence for local politician convicted of drug trafficking
- Czech state prosecutor rejects complaint from family of Romani man who died in presence of police
- Czech prosecutor to review police procedure in case of Romani man who died in pizzeria
- Czech Govt Roma Council discusses death case, Romani representatives express growing sense of danger
- VIDEO: Father of deceased Romani man says he has filed complaint against suspension of investigation
- VIDEO: Czech Police proceeded incorrectly, attorney for family of deceased Romani man says
- Czech Police find no crime was committed in death of Romani man last fall
- Czech investigation into death of Romani man in a pizzeria will announce findings at press conference
- Czech Republic: Investigation into Romani man's death continues as interethnic gulf widens
- Czech court sentences Romani man to prison for racist abuse while mourning a relative's death