Romani college graduate in Czech Republic plans to become an educator himself
Jarmila Balážová has interviewed Romani community member Robert Olah, a 23-year-old student of economics and management who is hopeful that he will become a high school teacher of accounting and economics once he has acquired the relevant certification. The interview was broadcast online as part of ROMEA TV's "Ten Minute Plus" talk show.
Olah and his four siblings were raised by their mother in a socially excluded locality, but that has not kept him from fulfilling his childhood dream. He loves both accounting and economics and believes a teacher should know how to motivate pupils and students, saying he himself has had the good luck to experience such educators.
Those experiences are probably why he has longed to become a great teacher since childhood. "My plan is to earn the kind of degree that will enable me to teach at high school economics, that has basically been my dream since I was little, and I am slowly making it come true," he said in the interview.
In his free time, Olah is dedicated to working in nonprofit organizations and motivating Romani student youth. He says he wants to give back the kind of aid he received from others during his own moments of need.
A concise characterization of the would-be future educator is that he is ambitious and diligent. One component of his journey toward fulfilling his dream is his recently-defended Bachelor's thesis, which was assessed as one of the best at his faculty.
The subject of that thesis is discrimination against Romani people on the housing market. Olah underook a unique experiment, sending out 1 600 housing applications in the name of non-existent prospective tenants to test the scope of ethnic discrimination on the Czech housing market.
Olah also regularly attends the Romani student meetings held several times annually as part of the ROMEA organization's Romani Scholarship Program. The meetings are called "BARUVAS", which in Romanes means "We are growing", and bring together Romani students attending colleges and high schools across the Czech Republic and across different fields of study.
- Local councillor in Czech Republic sparks outrage and petition against installation of "container housing" in Romani neighborhood
- Czech national audit says schools were not prepared for inclusion and local governments are not drawing funds for it in socially excluded localities
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- Council of Europe says Czech Republic not doing enough to teach the Romani language
- Czech sociologist finds correlation between debtors under collections proceedings and children failing school
- Czech Education Ministry wants to end funding for assistants to thousands of disabled children, expert says this will ruin inclusive education
- Czech primary school materials feature a total of 71 sentences about Roma - and they promote stereotypes
- Commentary: Romani quintuplets go to school, primitives in the Czech Republic have a field day!
- Czech bus driver refuses to drive city bus with bigoted campaign ad, mayor negotiates its removal
- Czech Republic: 11th Romani student meeting BARUVAS is changing lives
- Czech authorities could levy hefty fines against authors of discriminatory classified ads saying Roma need not apply
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Czech Charter 77 signatory and sociologist Jiřina Šiklová has passed away, advocated for Romani equality
- Czech TV finds MP is still a landlord trafficking in poverty, overcharging Romani tenants for squalid properties who have nowhere else to go
- Czech NGO director tells ombudsman he should resign for refusing to acknowledge discrimination against Roma
- Alena Gronzíková: Czech landlords will not rent to Roma even with good references and steady incomes
- Romani people in the Czech Republic complain to retailers of security guards stalking them when they shop
- Czech ombudsman criticizes draft Roma Strategy, rejects idea of updating information about compensation for forced sterilizations
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- European Committee of Social Rights: Czech Republic overinstitutionalizes Romani children and children living with disabilities
- ROMEA gives 94 Romani students at Czech colleges and high schools scholarships, program is in its fifth year
- Czech regional elections: 29th-place Romani candidate says collections proceedings need to be consolidated