Romani girl attempts suicide after bullying at her primary school in Czech town
A pupil in the eighth grade of the Slovanka Primary School in the town of Česká Lípa has attempted suicide because her fellow pupils bullied her. It is likely that they picked on her because of her Romani origin.
"It began with insults because of what I look like and what I am. They said I am a shitty gypsy," the girl, who has Romani forebears on her father's side, told TV NOVA.
"I did my best not to worry about it, not to react to them, but I couldn't ignore it any more," said the girl, who eventually attempted suicide in the restroom by cutting herself. The press spokesperson for the local police, Ivana Baláková, confirmed that police have investigated the circumstances of the minor causing herself the cutting injuries.
Given the girl's age, however, no further information will be provided by the authorities. "The boys [who bullied her] have had their grades lowered and been given rehabilitation measures. They are actually under the microscope not just of the school management, but of the homeroom teachers. A reprimand from the principal and low grades for behavior will not work on 80 % of children, though, sometimes the children see it as proof of their superiority," school principal Václav Špetlík told tn.cz.
The principal believes it would aid primary schools if they could introduce conditional expulsion, which is possible at secondary schools. The school management has done its best to convince the pupils' parents to withdraw them from the school, but the parents disagreed with that option.
"Even though all the bureaucrats and experts see it differently, the final decision is up to the parents and just the parents," the principal said. Instead, the bullied girl is the one who has withdrawn from the school.
"At the end of the school year she had top grades. Those boys? They're lucky to get by at all," the girl's mother told tn.cz.
- Czech school targeted with hate over its non-white first-graders last year receives donation of laptop computers
- Young Czech journalist: School didn't teach me not to generalize, I had to learn that on my own
- First-graders from Czech school subjected to racist attacks online receive tablets thanks to ROMEA's fundraising drive
- Czech region where evictions are underway keeps rejecting plans to subsidize lunches for impoverished schoolchildren
- Professor Iulius Rostas about school segregation: "Bad not only for Roma children, but for the whole society"
- Director of Terezín Initiative Institute says Czech schools don't teach enough about Romani people
- Czech Republic: Landlord of Romani locality on Přednádraží street attempts suicide
- Czech Police not yet ruling out possible suicide in judge's death
- Romani women and children in Slovakia assaulted physically and verbally by stranger at a lake
- Commentary: David Mezei, false prophet, and the Romani elite of the Czech Republic
- Dozens of Roma protest in front of restaurant in Czech town after food server allegedly assaults a Romani woman, police are investigating
- Czech MP alleges during parliamentary debate on welfare bill that incest is part of Romani culture, open racism on the floor of the lower house
- Assembly against discrimination and racism in Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic attended mostly by Romani people
- Chair of the Czech Helsinki Committee: Czech society is racist towards Romani people
- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights: Don't deny racism, eliminate it!
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Football hooligans and neo-Nazis blame all Roma for violent crime and march through Czech town, riot police deployed
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech appeals court exceptionally reduces sentence for social media user who approved of Christchurch massacre, notes current law is imbalanced
- František Kostlán: Both the Jews and the Roma were victims of the Holocaust