Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
Romani community member Dominik Oračko from the Sports Club Weightlifting Sokolov division has won three gold medals representing the Czech Republic in the International Weightlifting Federation Online Youth World Cup for competitors age 17 and younger. He was the big favorite in the highest weight category going in.
In March 2019, as a 16-year-old, Oračko became a double junior world champion. Right away in his first snatch event this year he left no doubts as he lifted 154 kilograms overhead and immediately took the lead.
During his second snatch event he added six more kilograms and defeated the silver medalist Igor Osuch of Poland by 14 kilograms, lifting 160. In the clean and jerk event, Oračko lifted 192 kilograms on his first attempt, which was enough to win both that event and his duel with Osoch, which he won by lifting 29 kilograms more than the second-place finisher.
The championship was originally meant to be held in Peru, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic the competitors performed in their home clubs and the contest took place online. Video footage of his gold medal performance is below.
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Michal Mižigár wins the Aspen Central Europe Leadership Award 2019
- Czech kickboxer of Romani origin wins gold in Sarajevo
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- Documentary by Museum of Romani Culture wins award for best Czech film at international festival
- Slovakia: Girl from impoverished Romani family wins race running in flats
- Romani fashion designer wins one million Czech crowns, will launch brand
- Romani fashion designer wins international competition in the USA
- "Cigán" ("Gypsy") wins four prizes during Karlovy Vary film festival
- Czech Olympic Committee and Czech Weightlifting Union condemn Ota Zaremba’s racist remarks
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Slovak investigation into police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement last year still ongoing
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here