Romani musician in Czech Republic regrets believing COVID-19 was fake now that he's had it
I keep reading on Facebook that the COVID-19 disease is fake, that it's a fictional illness, or that it's just a worse version of the flu and nothing more. Unfortunately, I have to disappoint those of you who believe that.
The virus exists and is actually much more insidious than the regular flu. Take, for example, the singer Feri Bartoš.
I don't know what his health was like before, but he's 40 years old and built like a mountain. From the article on Romea.cz it is apparent that the course of the disease was more serious in his case.
I can personally guarantee everybody that even the "light" version of COVID-19 is genuinely no fun. I am rarely ill, it takes a lot for something to lay me low.
Roughly one month ago, though, I was struck down. I have not yet been for tests, so I cannot claim with 100 % certainty that what I had was COVID-19.
Of course, what I can tell you for certain is that whatever I had was decidedly not an ordinary virus. A couple of people I know have written to tell me that they had the same experience I did, and they have received confirmed diagnoses of COVID-19.
I had high fevers of around 40 C, I couldn't even get out of bed, and I was absolutely exhausted, above all in my muscles. At one point I almost couldn't even walk to the toilet.
There were chills, followed by hot flashes, and I thought my head would burst open. That state of affairs lasted two whole days.
If I had experienced that for 10 days as others have, I would have "given up the ghost". It's true that I recovered quickly, overall, which I consider a miracle.
I have to add that for several days after the worst symptoms, I was abnormally fatigued. After walking a couple of meters, I felt like I'd run a marathon.
During the past month I have slept more than ever before in my life. I'm all right by now, I feel normal already.
I'm one of the people who used to say COVID-19 was all bullshit, a big deception, etc. Believe me, I'm speaking and writing differently now.
Some people might catch this and not even know it. Especially tough guys in their twenties.
If I were 20 years older, I probably would have had a much worse time of it. The "Colonel" and his gang [Translator's Note: the current Health Minister] make me angry too, in my opinion they are abusing the current situation and making money on it.
Let's be clear, though - do you think anybody else in that position would behave differently? Anyone would do their best to make money on this, unfortunately, that's just politics.
This disease is really not some kind of fable, though, it's reality. Everybody who still doubts that, or who posts about how many people usually die of cancer and other illnesses is, in a certain sense, right.
I can guarantee you, though, that if you were to catch even the lighter version of COVID-19, you would change your tune about it. If, God forbid, your parents were to catch it, that would be a real problem, believe me.
It is not my intention to spread panic. Just think a bit before you start writing about this all being a con again.
I wish you all good health so you can keep complaining on Facebook with no problems. Maybe by the end of the year this will have declined, and then we will have an opportunity to live our normal lives again in the spring!
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- COVID-19 dampens turnout for annual international pilgrimage by Catholic Roma in the Czech Republic, but the atmosphere was not affected
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Karolína Bánomová: Saste Roma – Info pal o koronavirus can be trusted about COVID-19, ignore the brainwashing conspiracy theories
- Emil Voráč: Czech Govt COVID-19 measures have not stopped our work, but the poorest are being forgotten
- Slovak PM says local Roma who completed COVID-19 quarantine are role models for the country
- Petra Gelbart: COVID-19 can quickly get out of hand and spread to those who believe they are immune
- Amnesty International criticizes closures of Romani settlements in Bulgaria and Slovakia as part of COVID-19 response
- Adriana Kotlárová, educator at school with many Romani pupils: Families have no Internet access, personal contact unavoidable even during COVID-19
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- Radek Banga refuses interview for ROMEA TV, objects to articles published by news server Romea.cz and to hateful attacks against him on Czech social media
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Slovak investigation into police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement last year still ongoing
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here
- Czech nurse expresses frustration with those denying COVID-19 and spreading disinformation: People are dying of this here!
- Czech MP protesting measures to stem COVID-19 pandemic is a trafficker in poverty with a history of anti-Romani racism
- Romani youth including actor from "The Painted Bird" want to fundraise for Czech hospital treating serious COVID-19 cases