Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
Dozens of households at the Chanov housing estate in Most, Czech Republic, have responded to a challenge from a local association, Aver Roma, to thank everybody who is providing aid to others during the COVID-19 epidemic and to express support for them. Illuminated hearts have been shining from their windows as part of an event called "Thank you, together we can do it!"
"Chanov is using this heart symbol to thank all the paramedics, police, firefighters, retail clerks, drivers, waste disposal technicians, and janitors in the hospitals, everybody who is risking their health these days to combat the very insidious, invisible rival that is the coronavirus," Peter Bažo of Aver Roma told news server Romea.cz. "The people at the housing estate demonstrated their solidarity and how much they appreciate the people who today are on the front lines of combating this disease."
Bažo also said the event would be repeated at Chanov and that naturally it did not just involve expressing thanks, but that people at the housing estate themselves have joined specific aid efforts such as, for example, sewing face masks, as news server Romea.cz has previously reported. The association posted photos of the illuminated windows to social media last week.
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Czech town puts "container housing" for Romani-inhabited locality on hold, former ombudswoman recommended cancelling it altogether
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Czech town cancels commission for container housing as too costly - which local opposition politicians have argued all along
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Romani students in the Czech Republic can apply to ROMEA for scholarships in June
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim