Romani singer Věra Gondolánová has passed away
After a long and difficult illness, the singer Věra Gondolánová has passed away at the age of 66. Her nephew Filip Gondolán announced the news through the Facebook social network.
"She has passed away after a long illness. She was as I have always known her... beautiful, proud, brave and to my mind the most talented member of our entire family," he posted.
Ms Gondolánová was born in 1954; her family is from the Brutovce community in Slovakia. At the age of 15 she began performing with her siblings Antonín, Vojtěch, František and Jiří in a family band called "The Gondolán Siblings" (Skupina sourozenců Gondolánových) and later with a Russian folk music ensemble.
The siblings stopped performing in 1973 after Vojtěch passed away and Jiří and Věra emigrated to Australia. Ms Gondolánová found a new home there, married, and discovered the genre of music that was most fulfilling to her as an artist.
Ms Gondolánová dedicated her life to chamber jazz and soul. She was always apprecated by musical professionals for her energetic performances and the brilliant vocal technique that made it possible for her to sing the demanding repertoire of Ella Fitzgerald.
She performed at the French festivals in Lyon, Montreuil and Paris, among others, but also at the KHAMORO World Roma Festival in Prague. The book Amendar, published by the Museum of Romani Culture, features an entry on her.
In 2004 she released an album entitled "Věra Gondolán: Klenoty romské hudby" ("Jewels of Romani Music"). She also performed a duet with Karel Gott, a jazz arrangement of The Beatles' hit "Can't Buy Me Love".
Ms Gondolánová also performed with "Felix Slováček's Big Band" and with "Ondřej Havelka's Melody Makers", with whom she sang compositions like "Summertime" or "Takin' a Chance on Love". She is one of only a few performers born in the former Czechoslovakia to have performed at the famous Olympia Hall in Paris.
- Svatopluk Karásek, former Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner, politician, religious figure and songwriter, has passed away
- Rajko Djurić, academic, author and former president of the International Romani Union, has passed away
- Famous Roma Rights Activist László Bogdán Has Passed Away
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Juliana Vodrážková: Josef Bánom has passed away
- Romani community member Stanislav Holomek has passed away in Germany
- Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
- Věra Bílá, legendary singer from the Romani community, has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech Republic: Eva Davidová, an ethnographer who loved Romani people, has passed away
- Hungary: József "Choli" Daróczi, translator of the New Testament into Romanes, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Romani broadcaster and educator Hilda Pášová has passed away
- Eduard Oláh, sculptor and stonemason who designed memorial to the Romani victims of Hodonín concentration camp, has passed away
- Czech Republic: Professor Ctibor Nečas, a pioneer in researching the history of the Roma, has passed away
- Internationally renowned Romani artist Damian Le Bas has passed away
- Ladislav Body, Romani man elected MP in the former Czechoslovakia, has passed away
- Emílie Machálková, a Czech Romani Holocaust survivor, has passed away
- Romani jewelry designer Rosa Taikon has passed away
- Romani activist Štefan Tišer has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jan Rác will take place tomorrow, Friday, 4 June, in Karviná, Czech Republic
- Funeral for Jiřina Šiklová to be held tomorrow in Prague
- Jan Rác, Romani activist and researcher, has passed away
- Czech Charter 77 signatory and sociologist Jiřina Šiklová has passed away, advocated for Romani equality
- Romani activist Rudolf Zajda has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- VIDEO: Igor Kmeťo, Jr., Monika Bagárová, Jan Bendig and others release new song for International Roma Day
- American author Paul Polansky has passed away
- Czech hospital refuses to examine young Romani man - by the time doctors agreed to see him, he died
- Marcel Courthiade, linguist who dedicated himself to the emancipation of Roma and their language, has passed away
- Legendary Romani musician Rudolf Bagár has passed away