Romani student Gabriela Janičová: My dream is to become a teacher
Gabriela Janičová is a young student from the Josefov quarter of the town of Jaroměř, Czech Republic. She is studying at the Evangelical and Social Academy in Náchod and thanks to her excellent results there she has been granted a scholarship from the program for Romani high school and technical high school students provided by the organization ROMEA, o.p.s.
After completing secondary school, Janičová says she would like to continue her studies in Prague. She spends her free time doing temporary work so she can contribute to the family budget.
After the death of her grandfather, who was the head of her family, they fell on difficult times. "We had no money, sometimes we went hungry," she said in an interview with moderators on the TV Barrandov station.
Despite the fact that her family lives on a low income, her mother has done her best to support Janičová in her studies in every way. One of the young Romani student's dreams is to become sufficiently educated to become a teacher herself.
Thanks to support from the Czech Albatros Foundation, the Danish VELUX Foundations, and individual donors from the Romani community, ROMEA was able to provide scholarships to 60 students attending high schools and technical high schools for the 2016/17 school year. In addition to the scholarship, the program offers students the opportunity to access other educational courses, to participate in intensive weekend meetings with other Romani scholarship recipients, and to access tutoring.
- ROMEA launches first year of Literary Competition for Romani college students
- Czech Republic: Romani high school students receive scholarships at ceremony, sponsors are convinced education is an investment
- Czech Republic: ROMEA awards scholarships to Romani secondary school students
- NGOs meet with Czech EdMin about the state hiring Roma and support for Romani students
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- 70+ Romani students attending Czech colleges applied to the ROMEA organization's scholarship program this year
- Czech NGO ROMEA offering Romani students another scholarship opportunity
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- Czech appeals court exceptionally reduces sentence for social media user who approved of Christchurch massacre, notes current law is imbalanced
- Barbora Ellen Bilá: I want to go to college and make my grandfather's last wish come true
- Romani scholarship recipient plans to work on AI at Czech university
- Brooke Pavek, an American with Romani roots, has more than 700 000 social media followers
- "Haters Will Not Stop Us!" ROMEA launches campaign to support Romani scholarship program
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- Romani students in the Czech Republic can apply to ROMEA for scholarships in June
- Czech and Slovak youth have different attitudes toward minorities - Czechs are more LGBT-tolerant, Slovaks more tolerant of immigrants or Muslims