Romani entrepreneurs bring gifts to hospital staff in Czech town during COVID-19
Last week Romani entrepreneurs delivered a donation of groceries and hygienic supplies to employees of the hospital in the town of Sokolov, Czech Republic. "All of the employees of the hospital send their heartfelt thanks to the Romani community of entrepreneurs from Vintířov, we greatly appreciate this, thank you," the hospital posted to its Facebook page.
The contribution has sparked a wave of positive reactions. "Milan Horvát and his son Dominik came up with all this, and when they called to ask me whether I would contribute, I didn't hesitate one second," said Romani community member Martin Bláha.
"I'm elated and proud of all of us and this great respect and reverence for the doctors. I was glad to contribute and I'm here for a good cause any time," Bláha said.
Romani community members Pavel Demeter, Roman Fabián, Tomáš Miňo and Daniel Sliško also joined the aid effort. Attempts to combat the COVID-19 pandemic in the Czech Republic have prompted significant efforts from civil society and individuals since the Government declared a state of emergency earlier this month.
- Romani residents of Czech housing estate thank those battling COVID-19 with hearts in windows
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe rapporteur: Instead of aiding Romani people during COVID-19, some European politicians are promoting antigypsyism
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Czech Republic: Two Romani women sew 1000+ face masks for the indigent and seniors
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- Czech MP taken to hospital after two men physically assault him and racially abuse him
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Czech Republic: Romani driver hospitalized after police tried to stop him filming them with his phone
- No Romani demonstration in Sokolov, but event about "Czech-Romani coexistence" will take place
- Czech Republic: Conflict at housing estate, police officer hospitalized
- Czech hospital compensates Romani woman forcibly sterilized 14 years ago
- Hospital apologizes for involuntary sterilization
- Czech hospital apologise to Romany woman for sterilisation
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Slovak investigation into police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement last year still ongoing
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here