Talented Romani pianist performs from his balcony in Czech town to thank medical workers
Robert Ferenc, the talented pianist and Romani community member who became an overnight star on social media in the Czech Republic, has recently been sharing his art with senior citizens in the small town of Vratislavice in the Liberec area. People living in Liberec itself are also able to admire his undeniable talent as, during the state of emergency declared in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, he has been performing from his balcony for his neighbors on the housing estate where he lives.
"I thank the doctors, nurses, firefighters, sales clerks and the people sewing face masks. I thank everybody who is providing aid in this difficult situation," he says in a video of one such performance posted to Facebook.
The musician's original video of thanks has been viewed by more than 13 000 people. The untraditional balcony performances, during which he plays different melodies known to people from film scores, are also being massively shared on social media.
The gifted pianist came in fourth place in the Pianist of the Year competition in 2017 in the Czech Republic. "The earnestness and authenticity of his playing radiates from him. On the one hand he has a strong personal story behind him, and on the other hand he actually has a musician's soul," said Petr Malásek, a juror in that competition and musician himself in a Czech Television reportage about Ferenc.
- Adriana Kotlárová, educator at school with many Romani pupils: Families have no Internet access, personal contact unavoidable even during COVID-19
- Czech Foreign Affairs Minister tells ROMEA TV that Brexit and COVID-19 are causing problems for UK residents hoping to return
- Associated Press: Holocaust survivors reminded of WWII by COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech Interior Ministry centre refutes most frequent disinformation about COVID-19 online
- Romani woman on the front lines of COVID-19: Interview with a nurse in the Czech capital
- Interview with Romani man in Czech Republic recovering from COVID-19: This was not like the flu
- Czech Labor Minister tells ROMEA TV the crucial priority is to prevent mass unemployment because of COVID-19
- Human Rights Commissioner of the Council of Europe calls for Romani living conditions to be improved during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner thanks Roma for their aid during COVID-19 and wishes them well on International Romani Day
- Petr Torák: The COVID-19 pandemic is getting worse in Britain, dozens of Roma are returning to the Czech Republic
- Vladimír Leško: Dozens of Roma are returning from the UK to the Ostrava area of the Czech Republic, they and others will be tested for COVID-19
- Czech Republic: Romani street musician shines in "Pianist of the Year" competition
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Czech NGO ROMEA offering Romani students another scholarship opportunity
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- Slovakia: Racist politicians launch hateful anti-Romani campaign over state's pandemic benefit for impoverished children
- ROMEA TV program discusses current COVID-19 disinformation and hoaxes on the Czech Internet
- Petr Ščuka: Romani flag accessories with Swarovski crystals are popular
- Vojtěch Lavička on the Ostrava incident: Knowing how to communicate can prevent dangerous conflicts
- Czech LGBT Romani activist says LGBT Roma are used to being scorned, but have their allies as well
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic defeats competitor after 90 seconds