U.S. diplomats discuss situation of Romani people in Europe during Czech visit
Representatives of nine U.S. embassies from the Central and East European region, the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Helsinki Commission met in Prague and Brno in April to discuss the current situation of Roma in the region. The representatives shared best practices, policies and projects that help to successfully integrate Roma people into majority societies and to empower them.
The main topics discussed were inclusive education, housing and the media. Romani activist Čeněk Růžička, whose family members were imprisoned at the Lety camp during World War II, shared his family story with the group at the Residence of the U.S. Ambassador and talked about the plans for the creation of a new memorial at the site of the former camp.
On Sunday, 13 May the annual commemorative ceremony will take place at Lety. It will be the first such ceremony during which there will no longer be pigs on the site of the former concentration camp.
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
- Commentary: Czech politician calls police on American couple - because they're black
- American and Canadian embassies in Prague display Romani flag for International Romani Day
- American Ambassador to Czech Republic Cites Roma Causes, Russian Threat in Final Press Conference
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Slovak MP who is also a Romani community member accused of sexually abusing a teenaged girl, claims he is innocent
- František Kostlán: Both the Jews and the Roma were victims of the Holocaust
- Czech town unveils plaque to the "Black Partisan" Josef Serinek
- Vojtěch Lavička: Ghettos in the Czech Republic are determined by poverty, nobody judicious believes they can disappear
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to attacker who threatened to kill Romani women and their children with an ax
- Annual commemoration of the Holocaust of the Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, is postponed due to the pandemic
- Radek Bangas new book alleges he was abused as a child, his twin brother remembers things differently
- Czech court orders director of housing corporation to apologize to Romani community member for abusive remarks
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- Vojtěch Lavička: Czech TV show featuring Romani guys in drag is low "humor" of the fifth-rate category