Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
On 20 November the Blesk tabloid in the Czech Republic reported that the Vlax Romani leader Josef Stojka (54) and representatives of Romani organizations have expressed their gratitude to the Teaching Hospital in Ostrava's Poruba quarter. Health care workers there recently managed to save a Romani community member suffering from a life-threatening course of COVID-19 from the clutches of death.
The patient was suffering from serious pneumonia and doctors had to revive him after his heart stopped. Stojka, the chair of the Union of Vlax Roma (Unie Olašských Romů), brought palettes of beverages, fruit and sweets to nurses at the hospital, who were very moved.
Stojka delivered the gifts using a smaller flatbed truck that was absolutely full. "Our staff were really very glad and I believe that thanks to this gift they will have the necessary energy to keep working," said Hana Maiwaelderová of the Teaching Hospital.
"Romani people are not indifferent to the situation with COVID, we wanted to thank the staff in the Anesthesiology and Resuscitation Department as well as the other departments for how they are deploying their skills to combat the coronavirus," Stojka said, adding that all local Romani authorities had come together to express their gratitude. Awareness of the disease and calls to follow the measures to suppress the pandemic are being spread among the Romani community through their leaders.
"They are decidedly not underestimating this disease. COVID does not choose you based on age or skin color. We recently lost a friend to it in Brno. I say not just to Romani people, but to everybody: Hang in there and may God bless you," Stojka said.
- Petra Gelbart: Czech media invite the wrong experts to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Czech collections agents threatening to confiscate laptops from families whose children need them for distance learning during COVID-19
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Czech celebrations of 17 November will mostly be online, ultra-right plans to protest COVID-19 measures in the streets
- Czechs to protest COVID-19 measures on national holiday tomorrow - including neo-Nazis reviving antisemitic tropes
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates
- Coalition of Romani representatives in Czech region of Liberec appeal to Romani community to follow COVID-19 pandemic regulations
- Romani blogger known in the Czech Republic and Slovakia dies of COVID-19, posted video warning just this morning
- Young Roma in the Czech Republic call on community to protect themselves from COVID-19 and not believe everything they read online
- Czech riot police intervene against violent anti-COVID measure demonstrators
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- Conspiracy theorists, disinformation followers and football hooligans to protest Czech Govt COVID-19 measures tomorrow in Prague
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- Slovak MP who is also a Romani community member accused of sexually abusing a teenaged girl, claims he is innocent
- Vojtěch Lavička on the Ostrava incident: Knowing how to communicate can prevent dangerous conflicts
- František Kostlán: Both the Jews and the Roma were victims of the Holocaust
- Czech town unveils plaque to the "Black Partisan" Josef Serinek
- Vojtěch Lavička: Ghettos in the Czech Republic are determined by poverty, nobody judicious believes they can disappear
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.