Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
The most recent season of the Belgian branch of the music show "The Voice Kids 2017" has been won by 13-year-old Katarina Pohlodková, whose parents are originally from Slovakia. She fought her way through to the final round with the song "She Believes in Me", the Kenny Rogers song covered in the 1980s by the Belgian singer André Hazes, and the song "Empire State of Mind", which Alicia Keys made a mega-hit.
Her victory entitles her to a scholarship worth EUR 10 000 and the opportunity to record her own single. Her version of Whitney Houson's hit "I Have Nothing" will be available on iTunes on Monday, 3 July.
"The last few months have taught me a lot," the singer told Belgian TV. "I never dreamed of winning this entire competition. It's wonderful that I have the opportunity to release my own single."
The girl, who was referred to as "Whitney Houston 2.0" by one of the jurors, performed excellently throughout the contest, which included performing the current hit song "Rockabye" by Clean Bandit. Her family has been living in Belgium for more than 20 years and her older sisters sing in a Belgian band.
Pohlodková's remarkable musical talent is said to have been clear from early childhood. By now, however, she has lost much of her native language of Slovak after living so long in Belgium.
- Slovakia: Three skinheads assault Romani mother and her children with racist abuse
- Slovak President Kiska: Let's stop speaking of the "Romani problem" and use Romani potential
- Slovakia: Romani residents of Zborov tell Romea.cz that police beat children, pregnant women, threatened retribution if video released
- Human rights activists: Czech police officers who intervened against Stanislav Tomáš should be suspended until investigations end, ban kneeling on the neck during interventions
- LIVE BROADCAST TOMORROW 10 AM: Press conference on the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic
- Polish football hooligans allegedly physically assault Romani man in Přerov, Czech Republic for objecting to their racist comments
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- Justice for Stanislav. Family of the late Romani man from Teplice, Czech Republic publishes obituary, funeral will be Saturday
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- Romani women and children in Slovakia assaulted physically and verbally by stranger at a lake
- VIDEO: "Kneeling on the neck means death" - debut from Romani rapper Filip Šenki in the Czech Republic
- Chair of the Czech Helsinki Committee: Czech society is racist towards Romani people
- Czech Helsinki Committee opens bank account to aid the family of Stanislav Tomáš, who died after intervention by police in Teplice
- Commentary: The dictatorship in a hostile Russia is criticizing the Czechs about human rights over the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- Russia calls for investigation of the death of Stanislav Tomáš after intervention by police in Teplice