Belgium: Man who posted racist death threat about Black TV host sentenced to prison time and a fine
A Belgian court has sentenced a man who posted a commentary online with a racist insult and threat about a Black television host to prison time. The 32-year-old Belgian has been given a suspended sentence of half a year.
The convicted inciter must now spend two weeks of that sentence behind bars and pay a fine of EUR 1 600, according to Agence France-Presse (AFP). "I had never experienced a case in court and I never suspected ahead of time what kind of impact it would have on my psyche," commented Cécile Djunga, the Black moderator who works for the French-language RTBF station in Belgium.
"It's quite intense," Djunga said of the experience. In 2018, the TV personality of Congolese heritage produced a video in which she complained about the wave of racist commentaries she has faced ever since appearing on the country's television screens.
At the time Djunga said she wanted to combat the idea that "there is no racism in Belgium". More insults and threats appeared online in response to her video lament.
Police eventually began to prosecute the author of one comment, who had posted that he hoped Djunga would become the victim of assault and that it would be best if it were fatal. The Belgian prosecutor eventually charged the commenter with inciting hatred and violence against a race.
- Czech actress accused by fellow Instagrammers of racism for her comments about Black people on an American beach
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- Czech town to see exhibition by pro-Romani and Romani artists referencing the Black Lives Matter movement
- Czech eyewitnesses to assault on African man say they fear for their lives if they testify
- German MP who recently visited Czech President met with South African racists on official visit
- Czech court hears accused assailants of African man deny they racially abused him in any way
- Belgium: Roma Travellers evicted from caravan site in Anderlecht neighborhood of Brussels
- Belgium: Roma Travellers to be evicted in EU capital, fire reported at their halting site
- Czech Police propose indicting football fans who assaulted African man on a Prague tram for racist reasons
- Belgian edition of TV competition "The Voice" won by 13-year-old Romani girl from Slovakia
- Belgium: Machete-wielding attacker harms two policewomen, so-called Islamic State claims responsibility
- Belgium: Neo-Nazis assault memorial ceremony in center of Brussels for victims of terrorist attacks
- Out-of-town youth assault Romani child and then other Roma in Sokolov - Czech Police defused the conflict and are investigating, local Roma not happy with their response
- Romani women and children in Slovakia assaulted physically and verbally by stranger at a lake
- Czech Police reject request for a second autopsy of the late Stanislav Tomáš, whose funeral will take place on Saturday, 24 July
- Commentary: David Mezei, false prophet, and the Romani elite of the Czech Republic
- Dozens of Roma protest in front of restaurant in Czech town after food server allegedly assaults a Romani woman, police are investigating
- Czech MP alleges during parliamentary debate on welfare bill that incest is part of Romani culture, open racism on the floor of the lower house
- Assembly against discrimination and racism in Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic attended mostly by Romani people
- Chair of the Czech Helsinki Committee: Czech society is racist towards Romani people
- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights: Don't deny racism, eliminate it!
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Football hooligans and neo-Nazis blame all Roma for violent crime and march through Czech town, riot police deployed
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections