Castro claims France is carrying out a racial holocaust
Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro has accused France of carrying out a "racial holocaust" over its expulsion of Roma migrants back to their homes in eastern Europe. e said strong protests in France were "essential" to counter the expulsions.
"The last thing one would expect is the news of the expulsion of French gypsies, who are victims of the cruelty of the extreme rightwing in France," The Telegraph quoted Castro, as saying at an event to promote the second volume of his autobiography. ome 7,000 migrants are "victims of another kind of racial holocaust," Castro said.
SPECIAL: The Situation in France
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- LIVE BROADCAST NOW! EU Anti-Racism Summit
- EU Commission: States have to show improvement for Roma if they expect to draw funding
- EU Commissioner for Values: EU money is meant to help the Roma too, data collection is important so we aren't flying blind
- Czech Govt to divert billions of crowns from the EU away from social services even as COVID-19 increases demand for debt counseling
- Czech Republic: Further action needed to integrate Roma children in schools and prevent discrimination against LGBTI persons
- Bulgaria: Scandal over EU-financed training to detect alleged "radicalization" of Roma, activists say money was used to boost anti-Romani sentiment
- European Roma Rights Centre reports on human rights violations against Romani people during the pandemic this spring
- Analysis: European populists lose their charm to scandals, trials and unpaid debts
- Zeljko Jovanovic: European leaders' silence over Orban's anti-Roma rhetoric shames the EU
- Czech MEPs welcome European Commission lawsuit against Austria over different allowances for non-expatriate children of EU workers