Czech-language online hoax alleging Prague terrorist attack now spreading among Slovaks and stealing Facebook passwords
A fake news item has begun to spread in Slovakia among users of the Facebook social networking site alleging that a terrorist attack has taken place in Prague. Its actual purpose is to access the login data to people's Facebook accounts.
The disinformation was first spread among Czech-language Facebook users. Thousands of Czech and Slovak Internet users have already fallen victim to the hack.
Those targeted by the fraud see a fake news item on their Facebook walls falsely alleging that a terrorist attack has occurred in Prague and cost the lives of either 187 or 273 people. The piece includes a photograph purporting to depict the Prague crime scene, but is actually a photograph from one of two actual terrorist attacks, one an image from the recent attack in the southern French town of Nice, the other an image from Baghdad in 2010.
"If the victim clicks on the link, what opens is not a news article, but a fake version of their login page to Facebook. When the victim inputs his or her login data, it is sent to the hacker and the victim loses control over his or her Facebook account, which spreads the fraud further," computer expert Lukáš Štefanko said.
Josef Džubák, who runs news server hoax.cz, recently explained this fraudulent practice to the monthly Romano voďi. "This is so-called 'phishing', or an effort to tempt the Internet user to provide personal information - birthdate, bank account number, or access codes - for the purposes of exploiting them," he said.
The hoax.cz administrator recommends making sure you are adequately vigilant about online contact with strangers. He admits that almost anybody can be taken in online, but the basic approach should be to verify dubious information instead of disseminating it blindly.
- Czech Republic: Roma report racism to Facebook after calls for "gypsies" to be set on fire are posted
- Facebook tolerates racism disguised as humor
- Czech Republic: Romani group publishes Facebook petition against collective blame
- Czech Republic: Five charged with promoting Nazism on Facebook
- Commentary: Czech PM fishing for votes in a racist/xenophobic pond
- Local Communist Party cell in Czech Republic posts antigypsyist defamation to official website, party apologizes
- Czech appeals court exceptionally reduces sentence for social media user who approved of Christchurch massacre, notes current law is imbalanced
- ROMEA TV program discusses current COVID-19 disinformation and hoaxes on the Czech Internet
- Germany: Trial begins of 12 suspected members of ultra-right terrorist group
- Czech court sentences man who praised deadly terrorist attack on New Zealand mosques to six years in prison, the longest such sentence yet
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Czech nurse expresses frustration with those denying COVID-19 and spreading disinformation: People are dying of this here!
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy