Documentary by Museum of Romani Culture wins award for best Czech film at international festival
A documentary film by Anna Babjárová of the Museum of Romani Culture, "Andrej Pešta: O Fotki" (Andrej Pešta: The Photos) has won an award for best Czech film at the Etnofilm Čadca 2018 international film festival in Čadca, Slovakia. The 20th year of this festival took place from 20-23 November as a competition among 46 films from 27 countries in 11 categories.
The total number of films submitted to the contest was 173 from 47 countries. Babjárová's film was created for the Museum of Romani Culture's traveling exhibition Andrej Pešta: Mire sveti/Světy Andreje Pešty (The Worlds of Andrej Pešta) and this is the second prize it has won.
The film was first appreciated at a contest for films about museums, MUSAIONfilm 2018, in the Czech Republic, where it was one of 38 films in competition. On that occasion it won the main award.
Czech Culture Minister Antonín Staněk has congratulated the Museum on its success with this message: "I congratulate the colleagues from the Museum of Romani Culture, which is one of 29 contributory organizations of the Culture Ministry, for winning this brilliant prize. This is a confirmation of the fact that their work makes sense and that they are going in absolutely the right direction."
The film is publicly available on YouTube and presents the life and world of Pešta, a Romani activist, litterateur and photographer. The individual animated photographs from his work are commented on by people who personally knew him and altogether create an entertaining, interesting documentary.
The exhibition of Pešta's photographs is currently also in competition in the Czech national Gloria Musealis contest, in the category of Museum Exhibition of the Year. The exhibition itself will be on view at the Museum of Romani Culture in Brno until 10 March 2019.
- Czech Television presents documentary film about Romani singer Věřa Bílá
- "Europe: Which Children Matter?" Discussion in Ostrava on 17 November about Roma segregation in education
- Documentary film about Romani activist Jožka Miker brings his energy to the screen
- Czech journalist reports on her experiences working minimum wage jobs, book and documentary film to follow
- New Czech documentary about neo-Nazi who still lives with his mother at age 40 and hates the world
- Czech Television broadcasts documentary films for International Romani Day, producer reveals his Romani roots
- Czech documentary shows illegal Nazi salute being given at concert by xenophobic Ortel band
- Czech documentary about Romani footballers premiered yesterday in Prague
- Czech football club backed down to racists within its own fan base over documentary screening
- Czech football club cancels screening of documentary about Romani footballers after fans threaten violence
- ROMEA releases new Czech-Norwegian documentary film about aid for victims of discrimination and hate violence
- Czech art competition for works about the Holocaust of the Roma announces winners this week
- Romani child actor from The Painted Bird rejects tv role in the Czech Republic of "bad g*psy child"
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture commemorates Holocaust victims in online ceremony
- Czech documentary film LETY will screen online for free on 13 May, followed by live chat with producers
- Charlie Chaplin's granddaughters making documentary film about his Romani heritage
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- Legendary Romani musician Rudolf Bagár has passed away
- Romani actor to appear in latest installment of antigypsyist Czech film series made by former 'special school' teacher
- Documentary on WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic screening TONIGHT ONLINE
- Zuzana Kumanová becomes the first Romani woman ever appointed to high office in Slovakia