EU Commissioners greet the Roma on International Romani Day
Věra Jourová, Vice-President of the European Commission for Values and Transparency, and Helena Dalli, European Commissioner for Equality, were among the high officials sending greetings to Romani people ahead of International Romani Day, 8 April. In a joint statement, the Commissioners mention the threat of COVID-19 as well as the mutual aid and solidarity that are spreading throughout Europe currently.
Joint Declaration by European Commissioners Helena Dalli and Věra Jourová on International Romani Day 2020
We are in extraordinary times of a global crisis. We see examples of beautiful solidarity, where people come together to help one another, but we also see those who use the situation to spread fear, anger and hate – often targeting the most vulnerable and already heavily discriminated groups, such as Roma people.
This day should serve as a reminder that Roma people – as the largest European ethnic minority – have contributed to Europe’s diversity and enriched our heritage for centuries. Online hate speech and fake stories against Roma people are again on the rise.
Many Roma in Europe continue to face antigypsyism, discrimination and socio-economic exclusion in their daily lives – despite EU and national rules against discrimination. Negative stereotypes and prejudices are still very much present in our society.
We need to do better. This is why the Commission will present a reinforced strategy for Roma equality and inclusion in European society.
In these times, greater efforts must be put into ensuring that Roma people are included in society and that they have equal access to the basic needs, thus ensuring their protection against infection. We need to stand united.
The only way to overcome the crisis is by working together. If there can be anything more contagious than a virus, it is our solidarity.
Europeans need to stand up for each other now. This is who we are.
- European Commission sending millions of euro for independent media to combat disinformation
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- European Commission seeks public feedback on European Social Fund activities, deadline 24 February
- European Commission presents new form of EU Social Funds after 2020
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- VIDEO: Igor Kmeťo, Jr., Monika Bagárová, Jan Bendig and others release new song for International Roma Day
- US administration greets Roma on 8 April, Romani flag up at the US Embassy in Prague
- Alexander Soros: We celebrate the identity, self-determination and unity of Roma, Open Society Foundations will always support them
- MEP Peter Pollák on World Roma Day: Mere declarations of willingness to solve problems not enough, it's time for results
- Czech Foreign Minister on World Roma Day: Fighting for equality is an integral part of Czech foreign policy