EU Justice Commissioner kicks up her heels in Brussels after Romani theater performance from the Czech Republic
ARA ART, a Romani theatrical group from the Czech Republic, gave a reprise performance in Brussels for the second time this year of their original play "…a zase jsme spali pindral" ("...and again we slept pindral"). While in the spring the group accepted an invitation to the Roma Week festival there and performed for Romani youth from all over Europe, the October reprise was part of the conference of the European Platform for Romani Inclusion as part of the European Year of Cultural Heritage.
The ARA ART production is based on original works by Romani authors and summarizes basic milestones in Romani history - and this time it was viewed not just by EU Commissioners and other representatives from the higher official structures of the EU, but also by representatives of European universities and nonprofit organizations dedicated to Romani inclusion. "The opportunity to represent Romani culture, the possibility to familiarize audiences with the still little- known history of the Romani nation, is understandably always an honor for us. The invitation to this prestigious event, naturally, is an appreciation of our work to a significant degree, and above all it motivates us to create more artistic projects," said David Tišer, director of ARA ART.
Pavlína Matiová, the Romani actress and singer who is ARA ART's artistic director, said: "This is also a big commitment we want to approach with maximum responsibility. It's a beautiful feeling when, just before you go onstage, you hear MEP Soraya Post, a Romani woman from Sweden, saying in her opening speech that our production is the best Romani cultural offering she has seen this year."
After the performance, what is called a bashavel in Romanes was prepared for the audience, a musical program in which everybody, as is traditional in a Romani environment, literally gets to their feet. EU Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality Věra Jourová, who is also from the Czech Republic, danced and sang along with everybody.
- Prague LGBT Pride festival is underway, Roma organizing Hot Chocolate stage at the post-parade party
- Czech Republic: Discussion on Romani characters in literature part of the KHAMORO festival
- Emilie Horáčková calls on Czech PM and EU Justice Commissioner to focus on anti-Romani racism
- Czech Republic: ARA ART exhibition features art photography of male nudes
- EU Justice Commissioner says situation of Romani people is not improving
- Statement by EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding on the Roma situation in Europe
- Czech art competition for works about the Holocaust of the Roma announces winners this week
- Romani child actor from The Painted Bird rejects tv role in the Czech Republic of "bad g*psy child"
- Czech LGBT Romani activist says LGBT Roma are used to being scorned, but have their allies as well
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- David Tišer tells Romani actor he has given Czech society a product full of stereotypes - and no explanation why
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- EU Commissioners on 8 April: Europe has a long way to go to achieve real equality for Romani people
- LIVE BROADCAST NOW! EU Anti-Racism Summit
- Online Romanes-language video calls on Roma to declare Romani nationality during the Czech census