European Roma and Travellers Forum expresses support for Czech NGOs seeking to fly the rainbow and Roma flags at Terezín
The European Roma and Travellers Forum (ERTF) has sent Jan Munk, the director of the Terezín Memorial who also chairs the Commission for the Preparation of the Terezín Commemoration, a letter expressing its agreement with the 14 nonprofit organizations who asked that both the LGBT community's rainbow flag and the international Romani flag be flown during the commemorative ceremony at Terezín this year. Munk rejected the request at the beginning of May for the flags to be included alongside state flags during the 15 May event.
Agnes Daroczi, director of the ERTF and an expert on the Romani Holocaust, asks the following in her letter, which was sent on 11 May: "If victims from one particular state can be honoured by a flag why cannot half a million Roma from all over Europe not receive the same honour?" In his rejection letter, publicized on 5 May, Munk invited people to bring their own flags and fly them from the audience during the ceremony, which some did.
The commemorative ceremony at Terezín this year was also controversial because of the bigoted and politicized nature of the speeches given by two of the invited speakers. Jewish representatives from around the country protested those speeches and a member of the Czech Freedom Fighters' Union issued a public statement rejecting the speech given by the national chair of that organization.
- Annual commemoration of the Holocaust of the Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, is postponed due to the pandemic
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- Terezín Initiative in Czech Republic does not want Romani names included in Shoah commemoration, director of its Institute disagrees
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here
- Roma children electrocuted while playing in a Belgrade settlement
- Synodal Council of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren calls on ombudsman to apologize for anti-Romani remarks
- Internet connects Holocaust remembrance sites to commemorate deaths of Theresienstadt "Family Camp" inmates at Auschwitz-Birkenau
- Slovak organization wins international award for aid to Roma during the COVID-19 crisis
- Petition seeking first reading for bill to compensate forcibly sterilized women delivered to Czech lower house
- Czech ceremony commemorating Romani prisoners sent to Auschwitz on 20 August attended by more than 150 people
- Czech Republic sees many events commemorating the 1968 occupation of Czechoslovakia - Romani man was among those killed, other Roma joined the protests
- VIDEO: Commemoration at former concentration camp in Czech Republic remembers Romani victims of Auschwitz, Human Rights Commissioner expresses support for a Romani Commissioner