Germany: Romani heritage boxer Tyson Fury will fight the legendary Klitschko on Saturday
On the evening of Saturday 28 November the boxer Tyson Fury, who is proud of his Romani roots, and Wladimir Klitschko, a modern legend of pro boxing, will face off at the Esprit Arena boxing ring in Düsseldorf. "I think this will be one of my easiest fights. I know that sounds crazy, because he's a super champion, but I see many chinks in his armor," Fury recently told The Guardian.
Despite this self-confident declaration, Fury acknowledges that he became nervous once he arrived in Germany. "It all came home to me after I flew into the city and saw those gigantic posters everywhere. Now I really feel sucked into the fight and I'm nervous. I've never felt like this before," the heavyweight said openly, who holds a record 24 out of 24 matches, 18 of which were knockouts.
Fury was born in Manchester into a family of Irish Travellers. His father named him after world champion Mike Tyson.
Klitschko's challenger is proud of his Romani origin and has not forgotten where he comes from, even though he now lives in a big house of his own. "I am proud of who I am," he says of his heritage.
"I'm glad I'm Romani. My Traveller origins have given me determination and the will to win, to keep going until I touch rock bottom. There is no defeatism in me. Because I am a Traveller I never have any regrets. I know what I have to do and how to go on living," Fury says resolutely.
Rom or Traveller?
Travellers once represented an originally itinerant, non-Romani population whose livelihoods depended on travelling and who probably existed in the British Isles prior to the arrival of the first Roma at the beginning of the 16th century. Since the Roma and Travellers led similar lifestyles, their interdependence was deepened through mixed marriages and today they are perceived essentially as members of the same group by the majority society.
- Romani player on Czech futsal team says he responds to racism by playing even better
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic defeats competitor after 90 seconds
- Czech footballer Ondřej Kúdela, centre-back for Slavia Prague, accused of racism in Glasgow
- Romani kickboxer wins quarter-final of cage match on Czech-Slovak OKTAGON MMA show, withdraws after injury
- Chess player, age 11, is a Romani talent from Slovakia who is defeating adult competitors
- Romani runner in Slovakia prepares for Europe's junior championship
- "Gypsy King" boxer Tyson Fury tells GQ he once gave his Louboutins to a homeless man in LA, but his giving doesn't stop there
- Romani kickboxer becomes Czech champion in classical boxing as well, will the big promoters notice?
- More than one Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic wins events in the WAKO K-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX 2020
- Romani girl runner in Slovakia scores another regional victory
- Slovakia: Romani girl who ran her first race in flats now national silver medalist
- "Gypsy King" Tyson Fury defeats Wilder to become world boxing champion