Greek court sentences woman who kicked Romani girl on the street to three months in prison
News server Keep Talking Greece reports that a woman who assaulted a young Romani girl on the streets of Athens four years ago has finally been convicted and sentenced to three months behind bars. The incident happened on 17 September 2013 when the woman saw the seven-year-old sit down on the sidewalk of Dionisiou Aeropagitoy Street, which leads to the Acropolis, and begin playing the accordion.
The woman approached the girl and began pushing at her with her foot. The expression on the girl's face in the photographs of the incident says it all.
She is afraid, and tourists passing by were shocked by the behavior of the woman, who owns a souvenir shop nearby. The woman also yelled at tourists and told them not to give the girl any money.
All of this was captured on the spot by professional photographer Dimitri Messinis. He stood up for the girl and began arguing with her attacker.
After a procedure lasting four years, the perpetrator of this crime has now been sentenced to three months in prison. Racist assaults have been happening more and more frequently in Athens recently.
Some observers point out that most of the attacks are perpetrated by the owners of shops who assault beggars in the vicinity of their businesses. The owners allege that beggars deter potential customers.
- Greece: Criminal Investigation into Attacks on Romani Community in Menidi Begins
- Greece: Non-Romani residents attack Romani ones after Romani man accused in shooting death
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- Justice for Stanislav. Family of the late Romani man from Teplice, Czech Republic publishes obituary, funeral will be Saturday
- Romani women and children in Slovakia assaulted physically and verbally by stranger at a lake
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Ministry reports that 53 % of under-threes in infant facilities are Romani
- Commentary: David Mezei, false prophet, and the Romani elite of the Czech Republic
- Dozens of Roma protest in front of restaurant in Czech town after food server allegedly assaults a Romani woman, police are investigating
- Czech MP alleges during parliamentary debate on welfare bill that incest is part of Romani culture, open racism on the floor of the lower house
- Assembly against discrimination and racism in Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic attended mostly by Romani people
- VIDEO: "Kneeling on the neck means death" - debut from Romani rapper Filip Šenki in the Czech Republic
- Chair of the Czech Helsinki Committee: Czech society is racist towards Romani people
- Czech Helsinki Committee opens bank account to aid the family of Stanislav Tomáš, who died after intervention by police in Teplice
- Commentary: The dictatorship in a hostile Russia is criticizing the Czechs about human rights over the death of Stanislav Tomáš