Internationally renowned Romani artist Damian Le Bas has passed away
Damian Le Bas, a leading artist from the Romani community, passed away on Saturday, 9 December 2017 at the age of 54 at home in the small British town of Worthing in West Sussex. The Kai Dikhas Gallery in Berlin, Germany announced the sad news.
Mr Le Bas was best known for his work in collage and drawing, through which he transformed maps. His work investigated questions of borders and the existence of a safe space - a homeland - for Romani people.
He was one of 16 artists exhibiting as part of "Paradise Lost", the first Roma and Sinti Pavilion at the Venice Biennale in 2007. Before exhibiting on that occasion he had been an "unknown florist" studying at the Royal College of Art in London, news server Spiegel.de reports.
Mr Le Bas also exhibited at the 2007 Prague Biennale 3 in Prague, Czech Republic. According to Kai Dikhas, his work was considered an example of art brut or "outsider art", and he was a leading figure among contemporary Romani and Sinti artists in Europe.
- Ladislav Body, Romani man elected MP in the former Czechoslovakia, has passed away
- Slovakia: Meet Erik D., Romani street artist
- Emílie Machálková, a Czech Romani Holocaust survivor, has passed away
- Timea Junghaus for Romea.cz: Romani artists have the potential to create an innovative Romani identity
- Romani jewelry designer Rosa Taikon has passed away
- Czech Republic: Ignác Zima, co-founder of the Union of Gypsies-Roma, has passed away
- Czech artist's guide to Brno neighborhood nominated for award, Romani activists are not happy
- Review: Czech artist's "guide" to slumming in Brno's Romani neighborhood is a tasteless mockery
- Romani activist Rudolf Zajda has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- VIDEO: Igor Kmeťo, Jr., Monika Bagárová, Jan Bendig and others release new song for International Roma Day
- American author Paul Polansky has passed away
- Czech hospital refuses to examine young Romani man - by the time doctors agreed to see him, he died
- Marcel Courthiade, linguist who dedicated himself to the emancipation of Roma and their language, has passed away
- Legendary Romani musician Rudolf Bagár has passed away
- Romani singer Věra Gondolánová has passed away
- Romani actor to appear in latest installment of antigypsyist Czech film series made by former 'special school' teacher
- Rajko Djurić, academic, author and former president of the International Romani Union, has passed away