MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
MEP Peter Pollák (OĽaNO), the former Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities, will be augmenting Slovakia's Permanent Crisis Team in association with combating COVID-19. Slovak Prime Minister Igor Matovič (OĽaNO) informed the TASR press agency of the news ahead of Wednesday's cabinet session.
"Along with another person, he will dedicate himself especially to the situation, the predictions and the risks in marginalized Romani communities," Matovič said of Pollák's main role on the team. The PM admitted that the state will have to adopt measures in the Romani settlements to arrange for the kind of standards for personal hygiene that will minimize the risk of infection spreading within those environments and beyond them, without sparking panic or giving the impression that it is essential to use the security forces there.
In an interview for TA3 television, Pollák said the Army is no solution. "Discipline and responsibility are the solution," he said.
"Any potential quarantine is not about ethnicity, if the uncontrollable spread of this infection happens in any particular territory, the approach to it is essentially clear and predetermined irrespective of who is living there," Pollák said during the interview. The Permanent Crisis Team is, according to the Slovak PM, an advisory body to the PM and should formally involve the Secretariat of the Central Crisis Team.
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Roma says Govt decision not to deliver benefits to Romani settlements is inhumane
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- MEP Peter Pollák on World Roma Day: Mere declarations of willingness to solve problems not enough, it's time for results
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech and Slovak youth have different attitudes toward minorities - Czechs are more LGBT-tolerant, Slovaks more tolerant of immigrants or Muslims
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Czech actress accused by fellow Instagrammers of racism for her comments about Black people on an American beach
- Czech town commissions construction of controversial modular housing units for Romani area, council meeting described to ROMEA TV by local assembly member