Organizer of 8 July protest by Romani people in Brussels is corrected by incoming MEP - "I've never spoken with him"
Štefan Pongo, a truck driver who dedicates his free time to civic activism and is currently establishing an organization called the Czechoslovak Romani Union, was a guest on ROMEA TV's "Interview" program, moderated by Patrik Banga. The Czechoslovak Romani Union is meant to be active in both the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
The Charter of the Romani People, which the association has issued, draws attention to the need for more Romani representation in public office. The interview with Banga, in Czech, was first broadcast on 28 June.
On 29 June, incoming MEP Peter Pollák, who is a Romani community member from Slovakia, contacted news server Romea.cz and ROMEA TV to respond to Pongo's allegation that the two men had spoken on the telephone and have been preparing to do a live broadcast together. Pollák said that claim is not true.
"I have never spoken with Mr Pongo, neither by telephone nor in person. We have not ever planned any live broadcasts together. He could not even have spoken with an assistant of mine, because I currently do not have an assistant and I will not assume the mandate of Member of the European Parliament until 2 July 2019. I am planning to meet with MEP Tomáš Zdechovský. I'm sorry to say that the organizer of this protest, Štefan Pongo, whom I do not know, is disseminating fabricated allegations about my person," Pollák said in a statement sent to news server Romea.cz.
- European Roma to demonstrate in Brussels against discrimination, ineffective financing, poverty
- EP elections bring two Romani men and one Romani woman to Brussels
- EP elections: Four Romani candidates in Czech Republic, more than 20 in Slovakia
- Romani candidate has actual chance of becoming an MEP after party chair in Slovakia withdraws and backs him
- Monika Mihaličková: Silence is consent
- European Roma flood Facebook with hundreds of photos of themselves at work, tell Czech President to stop insulting them
- Petition demands Czech President resign and SPD party be dissolved for supporting racism
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Slovak MP who is also a Romani community member accused of sexually abusing a teenaged girl, claims he is innocent
- František Kostlán: Both the Jews and the Roma were victims of the Holocaust
- Czech town unveils plaque to the "Black Partisan" Josef Serinek
- Vojtěch Lavička: Ghettos in the Czech Republic are determined by poverty, nobody judicious believes they can disappear
- Romani activist Rudolf Zajda has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to attacker who threatened to kill Romani women and their children with an ax
- Radek Bangas new book alleges he was abused as a child, his twin brother remembers things differently
- Czech court orders director of housing corporation to apologize to Romani community member for abusive remarks
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- Vojtěch Lavička: Czech TV show featuring Romani guys in drag is low "humor" of the fifth-rate category