Petr Torák: The COVID-19 pandemic is getting worse in Britain, dozens of Roma are returning to the Czech Republic
"My family and I seriously considered returning to the Czech Republic, at least for some time, because we are concerned about the COVID-19 pandemic and the insufficient measures being taken against it here in Great Britain. However, because we don't own our own apartment in the Czech Republic where we could stay until we would no longer be carriers of infection, and what's more, because we would have to move in with our parents, we prefer to remain in England," said Petr Torák, MBE, a Romani emigré from the Czech Republic who used to work as a police officer in Peterborough and who now directs the KOMPAS organization there, in an interview for ROMEA TV.
"Now what is essential is the outreach and work we are doing in our organization. However, dozens of Romani people are leaving Great Britain," he said, describing the current situation in England and how it is losing the fight against COVID-19.
"The Czech and Slovak Roma are some of the few people even wearing face masks here in Peterborough. More than 6 000 Romani people have been living here, dozens of whom have already returned to the Czech Republic or to Slovakia, and others will follow them home because the situation here is deteriorating," he explained.
KOMPAS is now doing its best to prepare Romani people planning to move home for the fact that quarantine awaits them in their home countries, because many have no idea what that entails. "The Romani people leaving here are those who have built up a life for themselves here, they work and their children are studying. These are not people on welfare, it's impossible to enjoy that kind of support here for long," he said.
- Vladimír Leško: Dozens of Roma are returning from the UK to the Ostrava area of the Czech Republic, they and others will be tested for COVID-19
- UK Holocaust commemoration features Romani activist Daniela Abraham, who met with royals
- Petr Torák: Hate crimes spiked in the UK after the Brexit referendum, what will the elections bring?
- UK: Anti-fascists, Roma, students thwart planned meeting of Slovak fascists in London
- Czech Govt Roma Council, Public Defender of Rights release handbook on how Czech citizens can return from Britain
- British newspaper The Guardian: Debt collection industry is endangering Czech democracy
- About 1 000 Romani residents of a single Slovak village have been working in Britain and now fear Brexit
- Commentary: Czech TV Prima broadcasts manipulative report about Roma returning from Britain en masse
- Czech PM says EU must become less bureaucratic, Slovak Govt tells its nationals in Britain not to worry yet
- Australian-British choreographer works with refugees and Romani people in the Czech Republic as part of international project
- Slovak TV: British authorities taking Czech and Slovak Romani children from their families
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to attacker who threatened to kill Romani women and their children with an ax
- Radek Bangas new book alleges he was abused as a child, his twin brother remembers things differently
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- Czech court orders director of housing corporation to apologize to Romani community member for abusive remarks
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Jarmila Balážová: What does the stormy debate in the Czech Republic about the TV series featuring Romani performers show us?
- Vojtěch Lavička: Czech TV show featuring Romani guys in drag is low "humor" of the fifth-rate category
- MEP Peter Pollák on World Roma Day: Mere declarations of willingness to solve problems not enough, it's time for results
- Czech ecumenical service sends wishes of good fortune and good health to Romani people on their day
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- Czech and Slovak youth have different attitudes toward minorities - Czechs are more LGBT-tolerant, Slovaks more tolerant of immigrants or Muslims
- Czech actress accused by fellow Instagrammers of racism for her comments about Black people on an American beach