ROMEA TV LIVE from Roma Holocaust Memorial Day events at Auschwitz Memorial
On the occasion of Roma Holocaust Memorial Day an international conference will be held about how Romani memory is presented in arts and culture - the forms and resources for preserving and interpreting it - as well as how to combat antigypsyism. The conference will be held on 1 August in Cracow, Poland and is organized by the Central Council of German Sinti and Roma, the Documentation and Cultural Centre of German Sinti and Roma, the European Roma Institute for Arts and Culture, and ternYpe, the International Network of Romani Youth.
The conference will be followed by the annual commemoration ceremony at the Auschwitz Memorial. ROMEA TV, the first Romani online television station, will broadcast live from both the conference and the commemoration ceremony.
On 2 August, on the grounds of the former Nazi concentration camp at Auschwitz, the Central Council of German Sinti and Roma, the Association of Roma in Poland, and the Auschwitz Museum will hold the annual commemorative ceremony for Roma Holocaust Memorial Day. This year, for the 75th anniversary, eyewitnesses, survivors, their relatives, representatives of governments worldwide, and delegations from various international organizations will attend.
During the night of 2 August and the early morning hours of 3 August 1944, the Nazis murdered almost 2 898 Romani and Sinti people in the gas chambers of the concentration and extermination camp of Auschwitz-Birkenau. Other Romani people were murdered in the concentration camps in Chełmno, Treblinka, Majdanek, Sobibór and Bełżec.
Still other Romani people whose numbers are difficult to estimate were shot dead and then buried in mass graves in the forest. Romani people from all over Europe mark 2 August as Roma Holocaust Memorial Day.
The day was officially promulgated by the European Parliament in 2015 as “European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day”. It commemorates the 500 000 Roma and Sinti who were murdered in Nazi-occupied Europe.
VIDEO - The annual commemoration ceremony
VIDEO - International Youth Event
VIDEO - 1. part
VIDEO - 2. part
VIDEO - 3. part
- Jesse Jackson, American civil rights activist, to attend ceremony at Auschwitz Memorial marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day
- Czech design competition for memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma/Sinti origin opens in September, winner to be announced in the spring
- Poland: Vandals deface Holocaust memorials in multiple locations, disrupt Jewish festival
- US Holocaust Museum offers unique opportunity in Prague to relatives of those persecuted on Protectorate territory
- EEA and Norway Grants will support building of memorial to Romani victims of the Holocaust at former concentration camp site
- Czech Human Rights Commissioner nominates former Culture Minister to Human Rights Council for organizing buyout of pig farm on Holocaust site
- Open Letter: Conveners of Holocaust commemoration are too quiet after politician disgraced it
- Czech descendants of WWII resistance fighters demand senator resign over speech at Holocaust memorial
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- Czech lower house decides not to strip MP of immunity over his remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma
- Czech lower house committee does not recommend stripping MP of immunity over denying the Holocaust of the Roma
- Czech Police propose indicting two men who desecrated memorial to Holocaust victims of Romani origin
- Czech MPs avoid round table about the Holocaust and its Romani victims
- Monika Mihaličková to the Czech Senate: Election laws must not allow the horrors of the Holocaust to repeat
- Czech Police must re-investigate one MP for Holocaust denial, but head of ultranationalist party will not be prosecuted
- VIDEO: Chair of Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust in the Czech Republic on the archaeological findings there
- Czech clergyman proposes the readers themselves choose the names of Holocaust victims to be read on Yom Hashoah this year, whether Jewish or Romani
- Prague Forum for Romani Histories: Joint commemoration of the Jewish and Romani victims of the Holocaust should inspire others
- Terezín Initiative in Czech Republic does not want Romani names included in Shoah commemoration, director of its Institute disagrees
- LIVE BROADCAST: Elena Gorolová and European Commission Vice-President Jourová open international conference on anti-Roma racism
- LIVE BROADCAST NOW! EU Anti-Racism Summit
- Romani Experts Discussed Hate Speech and Antigypsyism in the Media
- Internet connects Holocaust remembrance sites to commemorate deaths of Theresienstadt "Family Camp" inmates at Auschwitz-Birkenau
- LIVE NOW: Second day of conference on hate speech against Roma and Sinti in the media and how to combat it
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY AND TOMORROW: Two-day conference on hate speech against Roma and Sinti in the media and how to fight it
- Commemorative ceremony at Hodonín memorial in Czech Republic 20 August honors Romani and Sinti victims of the Holocaust
- Slovak Prime Minister says the Holocaust and its Romani victims must be remembered so that its "bloody history" will never be repeated
- Slovak President Zuzana Čaputová on the Holocaust and its Romani victims: Romani people are a full-fledged component of our society