Slovak court grants early release to vigilante who murdered three Roma at their home, prosecutor complains
The independent daily newspaper Nový čas reports that Milan Juhász, the main who shot dead three Romani people in Hurbanovo, Slovakia seven years ago, remains in custody for the time being. The District Court in Trenčín decided yesterday to grant him parole, but the prosecutor filed a motion against the decision.
The Regional Court will decide next whether the convict will be released. Diana Dočolomanská, a psychologist who assessed Juhász, told the daily that: "He is an absolutely integrated personality who deeply regrets his actions and there is no assumption that he might repeat them."
Juhász made the following statement: "I have done my best to live honestly, to lead a proper life. My family is waiting for me, I would like to help raise my grandchildren because the young people don't have enough time for it. I see that they miss me and I miss them too. I will do my best to live a normal life. What happened is a catastrophe. I regret it very much, if I could take it back, I would never have done it."
He committed the triple murder using an unlicensed weapon, causing the deaths of a 44-year-old man, the man's 19-year-old son and his 24-year-old son-in-law. Another son of the 44-year-old survived a gunshot to the lungs and his wife survived a gunshot to her leg.
The court sent Juhász to a maximum-security prison for nine years. He was also instructed to undergo protective custodial psychiatric treatment and protective supervision for three years.
He requested parole after serving three-quarters of his sentence. According to the chair of the parole board, he has fulfilled the conditions for release.
The prosecutor reminded the court of the gravity of the crimes of murder and illegal weapons possession in his complaint against the decision to grant parole. The surviving relatives of the victims of the massacre brought the case to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, which agreed at the end of 2018 that their rights had been violated.
The surviving relatives had sued the Slovak Republic for insufficiently investigating the perpetrator's possible racial motivation. Despite the express request of the injured victims, the first-instance court refused to consider a possible racial motivation for the crime, so they complained to the Constitutional Court.
When the Constitutional Court ruled that their rights had not been violated by that decision, the injured parties turned to Strasbourg. The European Court of Human Rights agreed with them and awarded them compensation in the amount of EUR 50 000.
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated
- Winner of Czech-Slovak singing competition "The Voice" subjected to racist attacks online
- Slovak President-elect says a single court decision cannot solve the problem of extremism and Fascism
- Commentary: Czech Republic, Slovakia must compensate the victims of forced sterilization while they are still alive
- Slovak Police investigating hateful, antigypsyist Facebook post
- Irena Biháriová: How a Romani woman from Progressive Slovakia got a hug from an ultra-right voter
- Slovakia: Ultra-right tries to exploit tragedy, raise tensions between non-Roma and Roma
- Slovak President Kiska receives the European Civil Rights Prize of Sinti and Roma in Brussels
- Czech Police confirm football fans were behind Friday's attack on the Romani community of Sokolov
- LIVE BROADCAST TOMORROW 10 AM: Press conference on the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: Investigate police response in Sokolov - it was inadequate and undermines trust in the police
- Polish football hooligans allegedly physically assault Romani man in Přerov, Czech Republic for objecting to their racist comments
- Brazil: Fatal altercation between police and Romani family launches campaign of mass murder against local Roma
- Several dozen Romani people protest in Sokolov, Czech Republic over the attack by football hooligans on local Roma
- Czech Police director of the Karlovy Vary Region: Internal Affairs Department investigating video of intervention by police in Sokolov
- Out-of-town youth assault Romani child and then other Roma in Sokolov - Czech Police defused the conflict and are investigating, local Roma not happy with their response
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- Justice for Stanislav. Family of the late Romani man from Teplice, Czech Republic publishes obituary, funeral will be Saturday
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- Romani women and children in Slovakia assaulted physically and verbally by stranger at a lake