Slovak Government says COVID-19 has been confirmed in 14 Romani settlements
COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus pandemic, has already been confirmed in 14 Romani-inhabited settlements in Slovakia. The Slovak Press Agency (SITA) reported the news yesterday and attributed the announcement to MEP Peter Pollák, an expert from the governing OĽaNO movement on Romani issues, who informed them prior to Wednesday's session of the Central Crisis Team.
According to the MEP, so far 110 Romani localities have been tested and there are conditions for at-home quarantine in the locations where COVID-19 has been identified. Vladimír Krčméry, another member of the team, also told SITA that nursery schools and other schools could begin to open.
"[Closed schools are] tying up the nurses, physicians and other professionals whom we need because they are caring for their family members at home," he said. According to the Slovak PM, the problem of the pandemic in the settlements must be addressed.
"More than 10 % of the settlements we have tested are positive [for COVID-19]," the PM said. A stricter regime may also await residential social services facilities, where Krčméry said the tempo of testing should accelerate.
- Slovak NGOs respond to PM, allege Romani settlement closures will accelerate spread of COVID-19
- Slovak PM harshly attacks critics of Govt approach to COVID-19 in Romani settlements, says measures are life-saving
- Slovak Armed Forces thank Romani community on Facebook for rescuing soldiers from a car accident
- Slovak police harshly intervene against Romani people in Bardějov, make three arrests
- Slovakia: At-home quarantine not functional in Romani-inhabited settlements, COVID-19 infected persons to be taken to state-run facilities
- Slovak NGOs call on Government to stop discriminating against Romani people in the context of testing for COVID-19 and closing settlements
- Slovakia: Five Romani-inhabited settlements are being closed for quarantine, 30+ COVID-19 infected persons found so far
- Slovak President greets Romani people for International Romani Day: Paľikerav tumenge. Džanav mištes hoj jekhetane koda keraha
- Slovakia confirms COVID-19 in Romani community of Richnava
- Slovakia: 40 FAQs about COVID-19 testing in marginalized Roma communities
- Slovakia reports first positive COVID-19 test in Romani settlements
- Slovakia reports that none of the samples tested for COVID-19 in Jarovnice came back positive
- Slovakia: COVID-19 testing begins in Romani settlements, those who test positive will be locally quarantined
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma tells ROMEA TV there are no plans for the Army and police to "invade" Romani settlements
- Slovakia will test Romani settlement residents for COVID-19 and isolate infected people in state-run facilities
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities tells PM to either fire him or let him do his job
- NGOs call on new Slovak Government to end the segregation of Romani children in education
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Slovak Ombudswoman and NGOs appeal to Government to compensate illegally sterilized people
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- Slovak MP who is also a Romani community member accused of sexually abusing a teenaged girl, claims he is innocent
- After European Court of Human Rights ruling, Slovak court acquits yet another Romani victim wrongfully indicted for reporting a brutal police attack
- Slovakia: Racist politicians launch hateful anti-Romani campaign over state's pandemic benefit for impoverished children
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic