Slovak President greets Romani people for International Romani Day: Paľikerav tumenge. Džanav mištes hoj jekhetane koda keraha
International Romani Day is celebrated on 8 April every year. Today the President of the Slovak Republic, Zuzana Čaputová, spoke to Romani people and thanked them for being involved in combating the COVID-19 pandemic.
As is traditional for Čaputová, she even added a few words in Romanes to her message. "Today we are marking International Romani Day. On this occasion I had originally planned to receive a delegation of Romani men and women who are doing a great deal that is good for Slovakia. I wanted to thank them and to continue the sincere dialogue that is so necessary to mutual understanding and collaboration. Although we cannot meet in person today, we remain together in our hearts," she said.
In her speech, the Slovak President thanked Romani people for their involvement in combating the COVID-19 pandemic. She also thanked Romani health care workers and Romani volunteers who are sewing face masks.
The Slovak President said she believes the crisis associated with the pandemic will affect everybody. However, it will impact some even more because of their advanced age, their financial situation, or because their housing is in bad repair.
"I know such people are among you all. I know many of you encounter prejudice because of your ethnicity. I want to assure you that I am President for everybody. I see the inequality, and I want to continue to be a voice for those who cannot otherwise be heard," she concluded.
- Today International Romani Day celebrated worldwide to mark the beginning of the Romani movement
- Slovakia confirms COVID-19 in Romani community of Richnava
- Slovakia: 40 FAQs about COVID-19 testing in marginalized Roma communities
- Slovakia reports first positive COVID-19 test in Romani settlements
- Slovakia reports that none of the samples tested for COVID-19 in Jarovnice came back positive
- Slovakia: COVID-19 testing begins in Romani settlements, those who test positive will be locally quarantined
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma tells ROMEA TV there are no plans for the Army and police to "invade" Romani settlements
- Slovakia will test Romani settlement residents for COVID-19 and isolate infected people in state-run facilities
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- NGOs call on new Slovak Government to end the segregation of Romani children in education
- Slovak Romani settlement quarantined after resident returns from England
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- Irena Biháriová on developments in Slovakia: Who is really being ostracized?
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- VIDEO: Igor Kmeťo, Jr., Monika Bagárová, Jan Bendig and others release new song for International Roma Day
- US administration greets Roma on 8 April, Romani flag up at the US Embassy in Prague
- Alexander Soros: We celebrate the identity, self-determination and unity of Roma, Open Society Foundations will always support them
- MEP Peter Pollák on World Roma Day: Mere declarations of willingness to solve problems not enough, it's time for results
- Czech Foreign Minister on World Roma Day: Fighting for equality is an integral part of Czech foreign policy
- Chair of the Czech Pirates: Let's not trip the Roma up, let's treat them with the dignity they deserve, as equals
- Czech ecumenical service sends wishes of good fortune and good health to Romani people on their day