Slovakia reports first positive COVID-19 test in Romani settlements
Testing in the Romani settlements of Slovakia continued yesterday. MEP Peter Pollák, a member of the Crisis Team, announced that the first positive result for COVID-19 had been discovered.
Absolute calm was said to have prevailed yesterday and according to her Facebook page, Slovak Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Community Affairs Andrea Bučková was there to observe the testing in Žehra. Pollák posted yesterday afternoon to social media that the "First positive" result had been discovered.
The MEP filmed an exclusive interview with ROMEA TV prior to that announcement, explaining how and why the testing in the settlements is taking place. "If the virus is in the Romani settlements, it will kill people there just as it did in Italy. Our action is meant to save lives," he said in the interview.
"On Friday 2 000 people were tested in Slovakia, just 49 of whom were Romani," he explained to those who have been asking on social networks why "only" the Roma were allegedly being tested. "On Saturday 196 Romani people were tested and today an estimated 220."
After Saturday's testing in Trebišov, Smižany, Kecerovce, Zborov, Doľany, Hrabušice and Markušovce, Romani people were tested on Sunday in Křížová Ves, Batizovce, Vechec, Ondavská Matiašovce, Bořka, Dobšiná and Žehra. "The testing in Žehra is happening without any complications - professionally, respectfully and calmly. Many inhabitants were concerned that the COVID-19 test would be painful. However, they then said their fears were not confirmed and that the testing was performed sensitively and painlessly. At the same time they praised the collaboration with the police and the military experts in civilian cooperation," the Plenipotentiary said on Facebook.
- Slovakia reports that none of the samples tested for COVID-19 in Jarovnice came back positive
- Slovakia: COVID-19 testing begins in Romani settlements, those who test positive will be locally quarantined
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma tells ROMEA TV there are no plans for the Army and police to "invade" Romani settlements
- Slovakia will test Romani settlement residents for COVID-19 and isolate infected people in state-run facilities
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- NGOs call on new Slovak Government to end the segregation of Romani children in education
- Slovak Romani settlement quarantined after resident returns from England
- Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- Irena Biháriová on developments in Slovakia: Who is really being ostracized?
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Roma says Govt decision not to deliver benefits to Romani settlements is inhumane
- Coronavirus pandemic can make conditions in the Romani settlements of Slovakia deadly, protective gear slow to reach those who need it
- Romani activist will seek to become chair of Progressive Slovakia party
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Slovak investigation into police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement last year still ongoing
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here
- Czech hospital refuses to examine young Romani man - by the time doctors agreed to see him, he died
- Czech nurse expresses frustration with those denying COVID-19 and spreading disinformation: People are dying of this here!
- Czech MP protesting measures to stem COVID-19 pandemic is a trafficker in poverty with a history of anti-Romani racism