Slovakia: Romani settlement celebrates lifting of across-the-board quarantine now that infected individuals and their loved ones have been isolated
The Romani settlement in the town of Žehra, Slovakia, was fully reopened on Friday, 15 May and the across-the-board quarantine announced there on 9 April was declared over. MEP Peter Pollák, who is a member of the Permanent Crisis Team in Slovakia, announced the reopening to the media and broadcast it live through Facebook.
Ahead of that, the findings of the testing of almost 700 people in the final sector of the municipality to remain closed were announced. Just 10 people were found to have been infected and were relocated along with their families into the quarantine facility that has been built there.
"I am glad to announce that we have the situation in Žehra under control. We have managed to build a small quarantine town where 42 people who tested positive are currently living with their family members, a total of 92 people," the MEP told the media.
"The final part of the settlement remaining under quarantine, sector 3, will be opened today at 15:30," the MEP announced on Friday after 14:00. He and the mayor delivered the news to the inhabitants of the settlement together.
"Today at 15:30 you all can go wherever you want," the MEP said to chanting and huge cheers. "I want to ask you all to wear face masks, to be responsible, and to not let people you don't know in here so you can avoid becoming infected."
Žehra had been divided into three sectors and a center for quarantining those infected had been established there during the weekend of 9 May, and as of Monday, 11 May, across-the-board testing had been conducted gradually in all three sectors. The first two sectors were opened on Wednesday, 13 May after those found to be infected were isolated along with their family members in the quarantine center.
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Slovakia: COVID-19 still spreading in Roma settlement, quarantine center will be built there and across-the-board testing undertaken
- Slovak Interior Ministry Inspectorate begins prosecution of officer who assaulted Romani children
- Slovak MEP and Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities file crime report over assault on Romani children in Krompachy
- Slovakia: Three Romani communities in Krompachy out of COVID-19 quarantine, movement restrictions only remain in Žehra
- Patrik Banga: Police officer who beat Romani children in Slovakia must be fired, he relied on "cigoši" not complaining
- Slovak Interior Minister meets with Romani MPs from governing party about police brutality incident, blames parents of the victims
- Slovak President asks for explanation of incident in which police officer brutalized young children in Romani settlement
- Romani Union of Slovakia: Police brutality against children must be investigated by independent commission, the ministry could be biased
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities says she belives police brutality incident will be properly investigated, officer has been transferred
- Slovak MEP from Romani community strongly condemns police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement as unacceptable
- Slovak police officer said to have beaten five Romani children in Krompachy settlement and threatened to shoot them
- Slovak PM says local Roma who completed COVID-19 quarantine are role models for the country
- Slovak Government program declaration says it counts on improving the position of Romani people
- Slovak Police engage in yet another dubious intervention against Romani man who was smoking in front of his home without a face mask
- Slovak Government says COVID-19 has been confirmed in 14 Romani settlements
- Slovak PM harshly attacks critics of Govt approach to COVID-19 in Romani settlements, says measures are life-saving
- Slovak Armed Forces thank Romani community on Facebook for rescuing soldiers from a car accident
- Karel Karika: I've had my first jab, the vaccine is the way back to normal life
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- The disinformation pandemic: Who are the Czech "anti-maskers", and could they seize power?
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Slovak investigation into police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement last year still ongoing
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here
- Czech hospital refuses to examine young Romani man - by the time doctors agreed to see him, he died
- Czech nurse expresses frustration with those denying COVID-19 and spreading disinformation: People are dying of this here!
- Czech MP protesting measures to stem COVID-19 pandemic is a trafficker in poverty with a history of anti-Romani racism