Slovakia: Three skinheads assault Romani mother and her children with racist abuse
News server Novinky.sk reported yesterday that a young Romani mother named Naděžda was targeted for attack in the Slovak village of Snina by three aggressive men who looked like skinheads. Just before 8 PM the men broke into her home where she was alone with her children, the youngest of whom is a two-week-old infant.
Naděžda told the news server that her family survived the aggressive attack only thanks to the timely intervention of police officers, who came to the scene after she hid with her children from the assailants in the bathroom. She said she was convinced that the fact that the infant had kept quiet and not given away their hiding place was part of their successful rescue.
The attackers were searching the house when police arrived. "I'm Hitler, I'm the boss here, I'm going to kill you all," Naděžda said one assailant threatened her when he and his two friends burst into the apartment.
One allegedly shouted racist abuse at her, calling her a "filthy gypsy" and a "whore". Naděžda said the men were probably from Košice and had shaved heads and tattoos.
The assailants' behavior frightened the children. Naděžda said the men continued their aggressive behavior even after they were arrested and sitting in the police vehicle.
The men ended up in preliminary detention cells at the police station in Snina. "I can confirm that the case is being dealt with as a racially motivated felony by NAKA [the National Crime Agency]," Martin Wäldl, spokesperson for the Police Presidium of the Slovak Republic, told the news server.
- Czech and Slovak ministers call for ways to combat radicalism
- Germany compensating Czech and Slovak Roma 72 years after Nazi atrocities
- Slovak President Kiska: Let's stop speaking of the "Romani problem" and use Romani potential
- Slovakia: Romani residents of Zborov tell Romea.cz that police beat children, pregnant women, threatened retribution if video released
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Slovak Ombudswoman and NGOs appeal to Government to compensate illegally sterilized people
- Football hooligans and neo-Nazis blame all Roma for violent crime and march through Czech town, riot police deployed
- Czech extremists move from inciting anti-Romani hatred to railing against "COVID terror" ahead of fall elections
- Czech appeals court exceptionally reduces sentence for social media user who approved of Christchurch massacre, notes current law is imbalanced
- Slovak MP who is also a Romani community member accused of sexually abusing a teenaged girl, claims he is innocent
- After European Court of Human Rights ruling, Slovak court acquits yet another Romani victim wrongfully indicted for reporting a brutal police attack
- Slovakia: Racist politicians launch hateful anti-Romani campaign over state's pandemic benefit for impoverished children
- František Kostlán: Both the Jews and the Roma were victims of the Holocaust
- Czech lower house committee chooses attorney now facing disciplinary action for making light of racist crime to join public broadcasting board
- Czech court hands down sentencing in pool brawl case, one Romani man acquitted for having attempted to stop the altercation
- Czech town unveils plaque to the "Black Partisan" Josef Serinek