Slovakia to have a new Plenipotentiary for Roma, MEP wants it to be a Romani person
Peter Pollák, an MEP and member of the governing OĽANO movement in Slovakia who is now a member of the Government's Crisis Team there, has been put in charge of choosing the new Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities. The current Plenipotentiary, Ábel Ravasz (Most-Híd), will not be continuing in office.
"We are not satisfied with his work. We anticipate that during next week there will be a change at the Office of the Government Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities," the MEP said during an interview on the ŠTÚDIO TA3 television program.
Pollák also said the new Plenipotentiary would be chosen from among four candidates but did not give names. According to him, the new Plenipotentiary will be a Romani person.
"We have prospects of several candidates for this position, interviews are underway. I won't say who the candidates are. Today we will choose from among the best people we have in Slovakia," he said.
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- MEP Peter Pollák joins Slovak Permanent Crisis Team to address COVID-19 in Romani localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- Irena Biháriová on developments in Slovakia: Who is really being ostracized?
- EUobserver on how anti-Roma racism is being exploited during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech and Slovak extremists do their best to profit from the COVID-19 pandemic, attacking the EU and public broadcast media
- Slovak public broadcasting continuing children's television program in Romanes and Slovak
- MEP Peter Pollák on World Roma Day: Mere declarations of willingness to solve problems not enough, it's time for results
- Czech and Slovak youth have different attitudes toward minorities - Czechs are more LGBT-tolerant, Slovaks more tolerant of immigrants or Muslims
- Czech actress accused by fellow Instagrammers of racism for her comments about Black people on an American beach
- This year marks the 76th anniversary of the Nazi murder of Romani people in a detention camp in Slovakia
- Chess player, age 11, is a Romani talent from Slovakia who is defeating adult competitors
- Slovak organization wins international award for aid to Roma during the COVID-19 crisis
- Slovak Statistical Office: People can list two nationalities in census, which begins today online only
- Fascist party in Slovakia seems to be falling apart
- Romani runner in Slovakia prepares for Europe's junior championship
- Slovak quarantine measures in Romani settlement are over, police and soldiers no longer on guard there
- Slovak MP of Romani origin Peter Pollák, Jr.: COVID-19 isn't racist