romea - logo
August 29, 2016
romano vodi - předplatné
Loading
extended search

Blog administrator at Czech daily gets death threats after shutting down "Bloc against Islam" bloggers

10.2.2016 18:57
Reporter Patrik Banga. (Source:  Facebook.com)
Reporter Patrik Banga. (Source: Facebook.com)

Cyber-bullying, death threats, racist insults. Patrik Banga, who is charge of administering blogs for the Czech daily iDNES.cz, has been facing all of those since Monday when, after several warnings, he closed down the blog of Martin Konvička, the leader of the populist, xenophobic "Bloc against Islam" group.

"If a Jew owns it, then Konvička can't go there...," "Patrik 'Crazy Cunt' Banga... that loser from Romea.cz?...", "Dude, that's the gyppo - sure that's not a conflict of interest...". These are just some samples of the insults posted to Konvička's Facebook profile after he published Banga's e-mail to him announcing that his blog on the iDNES.cz server had been closed.

Threats are also being sent to Banga's e-mail address. People are cursing him and threatening to kill and physically destroy him.

"The first threat arrived on the same day that we announced to Mr Konvička that we were taking down his blog. More threats arrived when we took down the blog of another member of Bloc against Islam who had immediately, in her very first article, published a big banner inviting people to a public event. Just like many others, she wanted to abuse the blog in order to promote her activities," Banga said in an interview for the Mediahub news server.

According to attorney Klára Kalibová of the In IUSTITIA organization, the responsible authorities should finally begin to address incitement to hatred through the Internet. "Social networks are fertile ground for antagonism, prejudice and violence. They do not represent some sort of separate legal area. Incitement to hatred is just as criminal in an Internet forum as it is on the public square. The responsible authorities should focus on these new manifestations of this criminal activity," she told news server Romea.cz.

According to Banga, Konvička failed to grasp that a blog is not a PR publication platform, but a platform with clearly defined rules. "Prior to this we had taken down five of his articles and warned him that we would either remove [his blog from being listed in] the headlines or directly deactivate it. Despite our warnings, Mr Konvička continued to publish his political PR. The last piece directly called on readers to support him, to vote for him," Banga said as to why the blog was closed down.

Cyber-attacks by supporters of Konvička against their ideological opponents are not new. Yesterday the Facebook page of "We Don't Want Islam in the Czech Republic" called for an attack on the Facebook page of Charles University's Faculty of Arts.

The call for a cyber-attack was a response to the Faculty of Arts condemning the arson attack committed against the Klinika Autonomous Social Center last weekend. Today administrators removed that call from the Facebook profile of "We Don't Want Islam in the Czech Republic".  

ryz, translated by Gwendolyn Albert
Views: 633x

Don't miss:

Related articles:

Tags:  

Islamofobie, Martin Konvička, Média, Násilí, Násilí z nenávisti, Nenávist, Racism



HEADLINE NEWS

--ilustrační foto--

Czech-language hoaxes deceive online with footage from feature films and news reports

29.8.2016 12:25
A Czech-language hoax published by the Facebook page called "Evropa – Evropanům" (Europe for Europeans) was shared by 10 000 people over the course of just 23 hours on 25 August. The hoax used video footage of a brutal clash between riot police and young men and misinformed the public that it depicted an "Islamic invasion".
 full story

--ilustrační foto--

Ida Kelarová on warning shots fired near Roma children at music camp: The Czech Police refused to help us

29.8.2016 10:46
Q: During this year's "Romano Drom" music camp for Romani children, eyewitnesses say they experienced attacks that involved "warning shots" being fired. Would you
describe precisely what happened to us?
 full story

--ilustrační foto--

Czech court says police not responsible for death of Romani man

25.8.2016 7:37
A court in Sokolov, Czech Republic, has acquitted the police officers who arrested a Romani man, Ľudovít Kašpar, in 2012, who subsequently died. The verdict will not be appealed.
 full story

Discussion:

Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.

More articles from category







Romano voďi

Romano voďi 12/2013

..
romea - logo