Blog administrator at Czech daily gets death threats after shutting down "Bloc against Islam" bloggers
Cyber-bullying, death threats, racist insults. Patrik Banga, who is charge of administering blogs for the Czech daily iDNES.cz, has been facing all of those since Monday when, after several warnings, he closed down the blog of Martin Konvička, the leader of the populist, xenophobic "Bloc against Islam" group.
"If a Jew owns it, then Konvička can't go there...," "Patrik 'Crazy Cunt' Banga... that loser from Romea.cz?...", "Dude, that's the gyppo - sure that's not a conflict of interest...". These are just some samples of the insults posted to Konvička's Facebook profile after he published Banga's e-mail to him announcing that his blog on the iDNES.cz server had been closed.
Threats are also being sent to Banga's e-mail address. People are cursing him and threatening to kill and physically destroy him.
"The first threat arrived on the same day that we announced to Mr Konvička that we were taking down his blog. More threats arrived when we took down the blog of another member of Bloc against Islam who had immediately, in her very first article, published a big banner inviting people to a public event. Just like many others, she wanted to abuse the blog in order to promote her activities," Banga said in an interview for the Mediahub news server.
According to attorney Klára Kalibová of the In IUSTITIA organization, the responsible authorities should finally begin to address incitement to hatred through the Internet. "Social networks are fertile ground for antagonism, prejudice and violence. They do not represent some sort of separate legal area. Incitement to hatred is just as criminal in an Internet forum as it is on the public square. The responsible authorities should focus on these new manifestations of this criminal activity," she told news server Romea.cz.
According to Banga, Konvička failed to grasp that a blog is not a PR publication platform, but a platform with clearly defined rules. "Prior to this we had taken down five of his articles and warned him that we would either remove [his blog from being listed in] the headlines or directly deactivate it. Despite our warnings, Mr Konvička continued to publish his political PR. The last piece directly called on readers to support him, to vote for him," Banga said as to why the blog was closed down.
Cyber-attacks by supporters of Konvička against their ideological opponents are not new. Yesterday the Facebook page of "We Don't Want Islam in the Czech Republic" called for an attack on the Facebook page of Charles University's Faculty of Arts.
The call for a cyber-attack was a response to the Faculty of Arts condemning the arson attack committed against the Klinika Autonomous Social Center last weekend. Today administrators removed that call from the Facebook profile of "We Don't Want Islam in the Czech Republic".
- František Kostlán: Neo-Nazis and the "optimists" are not equivalents, all democrats should oppose extremism
- Czech Police say man with no mask at scene of masked neo-Nazi attack was an anti-conflict officer
- Czech Republic: Xenophobic populists criticize Merkel and migration, neo-Nazis throw Molotov cocktails and rocks
- EU Justice Ministers call on Facebook to be stricter about removing hoaxes and threats
- Czech authorities indict leader of anti-Islam movement for inciting hatred on Facebook
- Czech Police refuse students access to 1989 memorial in advance of President joining anti-Islam activists for their event
- Czech Interior Ministry says ultra-right is being pushed out of the public space by Islamophobes using same rhetoric
- Czech Republic: Death threats to civil society groups aiding refugees
- Czech High Court upholds breakthrough verdict: Media must compensate victim of online racist discussion
- Commentary: Are the Czech police not bothered by death threats and a gallows?
- Czech Republic: Both sides appeal verdict over racist discussion posts
- Czech authorities alarmingly unwilling to prosecute online hate crimes
- Czech Republic: Online hate mainly attacks Roma
- Patrik Banga: Counting Romani children in the schools? Yes!
- Patrik Banga: Violence should not be minimized, but "Čhikatar het" action deserves praise overall
- Patrik Banga resigns from Czech Govt Inter-ministerial Commission on Roma Community Affairs
- Patrik Banga: Judge, the arrow got him in the head by accident...
- Patrik Banga: How can Romani families influence the sewer on Přednádraží street?
- Patrik Banga: Romani people will actively defend themselves against racist attacks in Czech Republic
- Patrik Banga: How easy it is to influence the nation
- Commentary by Patrik Banga: Sneering at a funeral is deplorable
- Patrik Banga: Report from Rumburk
- Commentary by Patrik Banga: How and why police detained me in Rumburk
- Patrik Banga: Attacks by deranged people not a Roma problem
- Online debater convicted in Czech Republic of death threats against Roma moderator
- Roma commentator Patrik Banga on the Nový Bydžov demonstrations
- Patrik Banga files charges against racist online contributor
- Commentary: A children's playground, common dialogue, and the media
- Czech right-wing extremists arguing over why racist from USA didn't speak at anti-EU demo
- Commentary: Czech "hero" reports the racist news from a children's playground
- Czech Human Rights Minister: Hatred of minorities is being exploited during elections
- Commentary: Czech media publish manipulative news item about slaughtered sheep and an "evil Turk"
- Czech Republic: Opponents of the EU, Islam, Merkel and refugee reception demonstrate in Prague
- Germany: Neo-Nazis in Lausitz region chase refugee youth through town, besiege their accommodation until 3 AM
- Prague Pride changes website after recommending supporters vote for racist candidates
- Czech documentary about Romani footballers premiered yesterday in Prague
- Czech Police officers accused of abusing power over disproportionate use of force against Romani workers
- Czech court rejects Interior Ministry lawsuit over gallows mock-ups
- Commentary: An oasis of green and white has been flooded with Brownshirt mud
Tags:Islamofobie, Martin Konvička, Média, Násilí, Násilí z nenávisti, Nenávist, Racism
Adriana Trejtnarová (age 21) has come a long way already in her life.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.