Čeněk Růžička receives human rights prize from the US Ambassador to the Czech Republic for his contribution to Romani Holocaust recognition
On the occasion of International Human Rights Day (10 December), US Ambassador Stephen King gave the Alice Garrigue Masaryk Award to the chair of the Committee for the Redress of the Romani Holocaust (VPORH), Čeněk Růžička, as his first official act in office. Mr Růžička has finally achieved, after more than 20 years of advocacy, the Czech Government's investment into the closure and removal of a pig farm occupying the site of the WWII-era concentration camp at Lety in South Bohemia.
The US Embassy established the tradition of this award in 2004 as an expression of recognition for entities or figures who have exceptionally served the development of human rights in the Czech Republic and who, through their support for social justice and defense of democratic freedoms, are creating an open civil society here. The award is given annually and is named after Alice Garrigue Masaryk, an eminent Czech-American who was the founder of the Czechoslovak Red Cross, as an expression of recognition for her efforts to combat social injustice and her personal courage in advocating for human rights.
Alice Garrigue Masaryk is one of the great symbols of the common history of the former Czechoslovakia and the United States of America who embodies the longtime dedication of the Czech Republic to human rights, including civil and political rights, both abroad and at home. The award has previously been given to Marie Gottfriedová, Klára Kalibová, Oldřich Kužílek, the ROMEA association, Czeslaw Walek, Anna Šabatová, David Ondráčka, Igor Blaževič, Lucie Sládková, Kumar Sri Vishwanathan, Jiří Kopal, the RESPEKT weekly, and the organization "We Aid Refugees" (Pomáháme lidem na útěku - PLNU).
- Czech Fulbright Commission calls on Romani students to apply for social enterprise summer school in the USA
- Chair of Prague DSSS celebrates ultra-right terrorist murdering woman in USA
- USA: Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi website, offline after boycott
- Czech Republic: Assembly to honor the victim of the neo-Nazi terror attack in the USA
- US Embassy to the Czech Republic gives Alice Garrigue Masaryk Award to the "We Aid Refugees" organization
- US Ambassador to Czech Republic gives Alice Garrigue Masaryk Award to director of primary school that includes Roma
- Anna Šabatová awarded Alice Masaryk prize by US embassy
- US administration greets Roma on 8 April, Romani flag up at the US Embassy in Prague
- VIDEO: Commemoration at former concentration camp in Czech Republic remembers Romani victims of Auschwitz, Human Rights Commissioner expresses support for a Romani Commissioner
- LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity to Gwendolyn Albert
- Czech Institute for the Study of Totalitarian Regimes honors Romani activist's work to remove pig farm from Holocaust remembrance site
- KHAMORO World Roma Festival and Prague Spring classical music festival given the EFFE Label
- USA: Four-month-old Romani boy is youngest child to be separated from his parents at the border with Mexico
- Čeněk Růžička on lower house refusing to strip MP of immunity for remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma: They're playing with fire
- Czech Embassy in Italy trying to prevent neo-Fascist co-optation of Czechoslovak historical figure Jan Palach there
- Documentary by Museum of Romani Culture wins award for best Czech film at international festival
- Čeněk Růžička: Is it so hard to grasp that we Roma want to witness the opening of our people's burial sites?
- VIDEO: Museum of Romani Culture Award given to Romani activist David Tišer