Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity in memoriam to Dr Alfred Bader
On Sunday, 12 May, a commemorative ceremony will be held by the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust (Výbor pro odškodnění romského holocaustu - VPORH) in the Czech Republic at the memorial to the former concentration camp for Roma at Lety u Písku. Mr Čeněk Růžička and other representatives of the Committee will give its Award for Humanity in memoriam to the late Dr Alfred Bader, whose philanthropic activities have contributed significantly to improving the position of Romani people and others in the Czech Republic.
Mr Yechiel Bar-Chaim will attend the ceremony to receive the award on behalf of Bader Philanthropies, which has been the main conduit recently for Dr Bader's generosity. The Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust is organizing a free round-trip chartered bus to the ceremony from Prague for those interested in attending.
The bus will be parked on Na Florenci street in front of the newly-opened grocery market there. It will have a sign reading LETY and will leave Prague at 9:45 AM.
Another free charter bus organized by the Museum of Romani Culture will also travel to the ceremony from Brno. Those interested should meet in front of the Museum at 7:30 AM at the very latest.
The bus from Brno will depart at 8 AM. There are a limited number of seats on both buses.
Those interested in traveling from Prague on the charter bus must reserve a place by sending the names of the passengers to email@example.com or by calling/texting +420 603247617. Those interested in traveling from Brno can reserve a place by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling/texting +420 545 581 206.
12:00 Czech national anthem, hymn of the Romani prisoners in the Nazi concentration camps
12:10 Welcoming of participants
12:15 Award for Humanity
13:00 Laying of floral offerings at the memorial
13:45 Spiritual reflection
14:05 Cultural program
15:30 Ceremony closes - participants may also visit the parish cemetery in Mirovice, where the imprisoned children who died at Lety were buried en masse
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Traditional commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust 13 May at Lety will launch new award
- Slovak Ambassador at Romani genocide commemoration: Honoring the memory of victims of racial hatred is important for all countries
- PHOTOGALLERY: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- Winning design for new memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech Republic features enormous circle at the site of the former concentration camp
- Here is the winning design for the new memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma and Sinti origin at the former concentration camp in Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST AT 11 AM: Winning design for future memorial at former concentration camp for Roma to be unveiled in Prague
- Closed commemoration of the Roma victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku cultural heritage site
- Čeněk Růžička: Traditional commemoration for Romani victims of the Holocaust is postponed due to COVID-19
- Czech Government measures to prevent coronavirus close museums and theaters, including Museum of Romani Culture
- Museum of Romani Culture to present its project for a Center of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech capital
- International competition for new memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani and Sinti victims in Czech Republic has seven finalists
- Grandson of Holocaust survivor says he experiences racism on a daily basis in the Czech Republic
- UK Holocaust commemoration features Romani activist Daniela Abraham, who met with royals
- Czech state's demolition of industrial pig farm on former concentration camp site for Roma to begin in June
- Director of Museum of Romani Culture addresses Czech Senate on International Holocaust Remembrance Day: We must safeguard our own humanity