Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity in memoriam to Dr Alfred Bader
On Sunday, 12 May, a commemorative ceremony will be held by the Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust (Výbor pro odškodnění romského holocaustu - VPORH) in the Czech Republic at the memorial to the former concentration camp for Roma at Lety u Písku. Mr Čeněk Růžička and other representatives of the Committee will give its Award for Humanity in memoriam to the late Dr Alfred Bader, whose philanthropic activities have contributed significantly to improving the position of Romani people and others in the Czech Republic.
Mr Yechiel Bar-Chaim will attend the ceremony to receive the award on behalf of Bader Philanthropies, which has been the main conduit recently for Dr Bader's generosity. The Committee for the Redress of the Roma Holocaust is organizing a free round-trip chartered bus to the ceremony from Prague for those interested in attending.
The bus will be parked on Na Florenci street in front of the newly-opened grocery market there. It will have a sign reading LETY and will leave Prague at 9:45 AM.
Another free charter bus organized by the Museum of Romani Culture will also travel to the ceremony from Brno. Those interested should meet in front of the Museum at 7:30 AM at the very latest.
The bus from Brno will depart at 8 AM. There are a limited number of seats on both buses.
Those interested in traveling from Prague on the charter bus must reserve a place by sending the names of the passengers to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling/texting +420 603247617. Those interested in traveling from Brno can reserve a place by writing to email@example.com or by calling/texting +420 545 581 206.
12:00 Czech national anthem, hymn of the Romani prisoners in the Nazi concentration camps
12:10 Welcoming of participants
12:15 Award for Humanity
13:00 Laying of floral offerings at the memorial
13:45 Spiritual reflection
14:05 Cultural program
15:30 Ceremony closes - participants may also visit the parish cemetery in Mirovice, where the imprisoned children who died at Lety were buried en masse
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Traditional commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust 13 May at Lety will launch new award
- Slovak Ambassador at Romani genocide commemoration: Honoring the memory of victims of racial hatred is important for all countries
- PHOTOGALLERY: Commemorative ceremony honoring the memories of the Romani victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku
- Documentary film LETY captures the despair and the hopes of those who fought to remove the industrial pig farm from the site of the former concentration camp for Roma
- Czech Republic's Museum of Romani Culture announces competition to design the memorial at the site of the former concentration camp for Romani people at Lety
- Czech court postpones hearing in case of anti-Romani signs posted at site of former concentration camp to hear explanation of mobile phone data
- ROMEA TV: Irrefutable evidence found that industrial pig farm was built on top of former concentration camp for Roma
- Czech Police recommend prosecuting woman who wore Nazi swastikas for supporting a movement to suppress human rights
- Norway: Oslo City Council wants to ask Government for a memorial to Holocaust victims of Romani origin
- Museum of Romani Culture to open Roma and Sinti Center in the Czech capital four years from now
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- Czech archaeologists discover two graves of Romani concentration camp victims at Lety u Písku
- Czech archaeological survey confirms human remains are located in the vicinity of current memorial to WWII-era concentration camp for Roma
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Memorial to Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti opens in Hodonín u Kunštátu, Czech Republic