Czech bishop lunches with the homeless, Romani representatives and senior citizens in Brno
Bishop Vojtěch Cikrle of Brno had lunch on 26 December with 170 homeless people, pensioners, and representatives of the Romani community. The Christmas event was convened by the Sant Egidio church community in the parish of the Church of St. Jakub in central Brno.
This is the 10th time the lunch has been held there; by participating, the bishop wanted to show support for those whom the majority society forgets. "I don't know whether you realize that we are doing well, above-average. There are people who have no homes, who have no loved ones, who have nothing to eat. Their concern is fighting for their bare lives," Cikrle told the Czech News Agency as to why he had decided to support the Sant Egidio community event.
Christmas lunches for the impoverished are held by the association worldwide, including in the cities of Olomouc and Prague in the Czech Republic. The bishop emphasized that during the Christmas holidays people should not celebrate the birth of Christ by themselves, including the homeless or senior citizens.
The bishop called on the public not to forget the main meaning of the Christmas holidays during the holiday rush. Cirkle toasted the health of each participant at the lunch, wishing each one the very best, giving them his blessing and singing carols with them.
He then joined them in a meal of beef broth and carp with potato salad. This year representatives of the Romani community were newly invited to the Christmas lunch, many of whom, according to organizers, suffer from the feeling that the mainstream society excludes them.
- British bishop denies the Holocaust but gets his fine reduced anyway
- Bishops rebuke Maroni’s immigration plans
- Czech politician misquotes meeting with Romani residents of at-risk housing estate, they correct the record
- Jozef Miker: Those who care about the homeless in the Czech Republic are bringing them food for free
- How Easter has been celebrated among Roma of Slovak or Vlax origin in the Czech Republic
- Czech courts definitively acquit publisher of Salafist book of promoting a movement against human rights
- Karel Karika: We will rehouse all 70 people from the residential hotel on Klíšská Street
- Czech Foreign Ministry flies Romani flag, outgoing Foreign Minister and Justice Minister meet with Roma
- Czech Republic: Families of children targeted with online hate spend Christmas in the mountains thanks to generous donor
- They didn´t believe he was a university student, but he didn´t give up. Baruvas helps young Roma grow.
- First Romani woman and second Romani person in history will be beatified this Saturday: Emilia Fernández Rodríguez
- Slovakia: Romani businessman stopped from distributing food to the homeless by authorities
- Czech President attacks some welfare recipients, rejects immigrants, says Interior Ministry is "censoring" the Internet
- Czech Republic: Romani community organizes Christmas party for children's home in Jihlava