Czech broadcast regulator: Prima TV's coverage of Iraqi refugees (and itself) broke the law
Last year TV Prima broke the law through its news broadcasting about the integration of refugees from Iraq into the Czech Republic, according to the Council on Radio and Television Broadcasting (Rada pro rozhlasové a televizní vysílání - RRTV). A total of four news reports broadcast in its main news program, "FTV Prima News", were found to have manipulated viewers and to have not been objective.
The Council specifically found fault with TV Prima's reporting about the planned departure of a group of Iraqis from the Czech Republic broadcast on 31 March 2016; with a report about the halting of the project to bring the Iraqis to the Czech Republic, run by the Generation 21 Foundation, broadcast on 1 April 2016; and with two related broadcasts about the departure of the group of Iraqi refugees for Germany on 2 April 2016. "Those broadcasts combined commentary by anchors and reporters with news content," its press release reads.
"The opinion of the station operator was presented to viewers as if it were fact. Viewers were therefore unable to form their own, independent opinion on the basis of the broadcast content, as the biased commentary by the reporters led to just one possible interpretation of the publicized incidents," the RRTV stated.
The law is said to have been broken between 28 March and 17 April 2016. TV Prima alleged that fraudulent accusations were being made against it about its manipulation of news material regarding refugees from Iraq, including one identified as George Batty.
STATEMENTS MADE DURING TV PRIMA NEWS BROADCASTS NOW CRITICIZED BY THE RRTV
"The critics alleged we manipulated the reportage or the statements made by George Batty. Now we see these people actually were 100 % dissatisfied."
"Are we to explain this by saying that when we filmed our reporting the refugees were satisfied and that they did not change their opinion until now? Nobody is able to answer that question for us."
"Our television station has become targeted by attacks from the HateFree initiative and other media outlets after we broadcast our original reports in which we were the first to warn that the refugees were not satisfied with their accommodations in the Czech Republic."
- Czech broadcast regulator says TV Prima must explain its manipulation of news reporting about refugees
- Czech talk show host uses YouTube to explain TV Prima's contract with him to TV Prima and the public
- TV Prima to broadcast talk show episode today - will it be in its entirety?
- Commentary: Czech broadcast regulator begins proceedings against TV Prima over report about Klinika social center
- Czech Republic: More proof that TV Prima manipulated its reporting about Romani people returning post-Brexit
- Commentary: Czech TV Prima broadcasts manipulative report about Roma returning from Britain en masse
- Czech Republic: Another TV Prima insider comes forward, says producers want "only negative voices" from interviews on refugees
- Czech broadcast regulator: Prima TV news creates a negative image of migration
- Czech Republic: TV Prima defends its anti-refugee newscasts by referring to a non-existent broadcast regulator "decision"
- Czech Republic: TV Prima managers caught on tape telling reporters to "obey orders" about how to report on refugees
- Czech Republic: Broadcasting regulator suddenly lost its quorom when vote was taken on Prima's coverage of refugees
- Czech Republic: Prima TV station told reporters to depict refugees as a risk and a threat or they would be fired
- Czech social media response to tornado includes antigypsyist rushes to judgment about Romani workers
- Online response to Stanislav Tomáš's death includes hoaxes shared in the Czech Romani community
- EXCLUSIVE: Hradec Králové, Czech Republic, is on edge. Romani youth was assaulted and his jaw broken, but police dissuaded him from filing a crime report
- Czech Internet flooded with fake news alleging parasites are infesting items now mandated by the Government, such as antigen tests
- Director of Czech-Roma NGO posts photos and video in effort to show that mandatory respirators are not "infested with parasites" as hoaxes claim
- Roma children electrocuted while playing in a Belgrade settlement
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- MEP Peter Pollák, a Romani community member from Slovakia, posts footage of his vaccination against COVID-19 to combat conspiracy theories influencing the community
- Czech Health Ministry to refute disinformation about the COVID-19 pandemic next year
- COMMENTARY: Czech TV show portrays Roma as nothing but criminals
- Czech MP publishes long-refuted fake video purporting to show "refugees" attacking a police vehicle
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin