Czech broadcast regulator: Prima TV's coverage of Iraqi refugees (and itself) broke the law
Last year TV Prima broke the law through its news broadcasting about the integration of refugees from Iraq into the Czech Republic, according to the Council on Radio and Television Broadcasting (Rada pro rozhlasové a televizní vysílání - RRTV). A total of four news reports broadcast in its main news program, "FTV Prima News", were found to have manipulated viewers and to have not been objective.
The Council specifically found fault with TV Prima's reporting about the planned departure of a group of Iraqis from the Czech Republic broadcast on 31 March 2016; with a report about the halting of the project to bring the Iraqis to the Czech Republic, run by the Generation 21 Foundation, broadcast on 1 April 2016; and with two related broadcasts about the departure of the group of Iraqi refugees for Germany on 2 April 2016. "Those broadcasts combined commentary by anchors and reporters with news content," its press release reads.
"The opinion of the station operator was presented to viewers as if it were fact. Viewers were therefore unable to form their own, independent opinion on the basis of the broadcast content, as the biased commentary by the reporters led to just one possible interpretation of the publicized incidents," the RRTV stated.
The law is said to have been broken between 28 March and 17 April 2016. TV Prima alleged that fraudulent accusations were being made against it about its manipulation of news material regarding refugees from Iraq, including one identified as George Batty.
STATEMENTS MADE DURING TV PRIMA NEWS BROADCASTS NOW CRITICIZED BY THE RRTV
"The critics alleged we manipulated the reportage or the statements made by George Batty. Now we see these people actually were 100 % dissatisfied."
"Are we to explain this by saying that when we filmed our reporting the refugees were satisfied and that they did not change their opinion until now? Nobody is able to answer that question for us."
"Our television station has become targeted by attacks from the HateFree initiative and other media outlets after we broadcast our original reports in which we were the first to warn that the refugees were not satisfied with their accommodations in the Czech Republic."
- Czech broadcast regulator says TV Prima must explain its manipulation of news reporting about refugees
- Czech talk show host uses YouTube to explain TV Prima's contract with him to TV Prima and the public
- TV Prima to broadcast talk show episode today - will it be in its entirety?
- Commentary: Czech broadcast regulator begins proceedings against TV Prima over report about Klinika social center
- Czech Republic: More proof that TV Prima manipulated its reporting about Romani people returning post-Brexit
- Commentary: Czech TV Prima broadcasts manipulative report about Roma returning from Britain en masse
- Czech Republic: Another TV Prima insider comes forward, says producers want "only negative voices" from interviews on refugees
- Czech broadcast regulator: Prima TV news creates a negative image of migration
- Czech Republic: TV Prima defends its anti-refugee newscasts by referring to a non-existent broadcast regulator "decision"
- Czech Republic: TV Prima managers caught on tape telling reporters to "obey orders" about how to report on refugees
- Czech Republic: Broadcasting regulator suddenly lost its quorom when vote was taken on Prima's coverage of refugees
- Czech Republic: Prima TV station told reporters to depict refugees as a risk and a threat or they would be fired
- Czech Republic: Interpreter confirms TV Prima manipulated footage of refugee interview
- Czech lower house will not discuss accepting unaccompanied minor refugees - ANO, Communists, SocDems and ultra-nationalists opposed it
- Patrik Banga: Social media is depriving us of context and driving us all crazy
- Slovak Fascists want to change laws about online media to prevent libel
- Austria, Germany on track to employ half of the refugees who arrived during the migration crisis four years ago
- Czech racists spread their annual summertime lies about free entry to swimming pools for Romani people
- Czech SocDem chair threatens to bring down Govt if ultranationalist nominee appointed to Czech News Agency board
- Elena Gorolová, who campaigns for compensation for forced sterilization, featured on Czech talk show
- Russian military television grossly exaggerates Czech turnout for anti-EU demonstration
- Top Czech YouTuber doing media literacy education for hundreds of thousands was inspired by John Oliver
- Absurd hoax continues to spread that Roma NGOs want Czech Television series cancelled
- Romani actor from Czech TV sitcom apologizes for using the word "gypsy" in an interview
- WHO: Migrants to Europe are not disease vectors, but their immigration journeys and poor conditions on arrival damage their health