Czech Cardinal on International Romani Day: We are all members of the same Christian family
News server Romea.cz has asked Cardinal Dominik Duka about his motivation for accepting a request to celebrate Mass on International Romani Day in Prague. His entire response is presented in translation below.
Mass for the common life of all nationalities in the Czech Republic
- WHEN: 8. 4. 2017, 11:00
- WHERE: Church of the Sacred Heart, Prague 3 (Jiřího z Poděbrad Square)
Statement by Cardinal Duka
There are two reasons I have gladly decided to serve this pilgrimage church service for citizens of Romani nationality. The first reason is that it is a significant event in our country, so to welcome the gathering, and I am the chair of the Czech Bishops' Conference, historically considered the successor to Saint Adalbert, in the country where that saint fought for equality and against the sale of slaves. Prague was the biggest slave market in Central Europe for two entire centuries - in the ninth, 10th and into the 11th century. Those were the struggles of Saint Adalbert and of Saint Václav before him. I think it is appropriate to remind us all that even today we are still not approaching others as we should. Yes, we talk about human equality and human rights, but we still manage to divide people into a caste system.
The second reason is that the church is doing its best to support ethnic Romani people worldwide. The beatification of the first Romani man, Zefferino Giménez Malla, took place in 1997 under Pope John Paul II. Zeffirino paid with his life during the Spanish Civil War of the 1930s. Now Pope Francis has also beatified a 23-year-old woman of Romani origin, Emilia Fernández Rodríguez. She was imprisoned after her husband refused to go to fight alongside the Revolutionary Guards, who devastated cathedrals and monasteries in Spain during the Civil War. One of her fellow prisoners taught her the rosary, and when the brave young woman refused to betray the name of her spiritual teacher, she was thrown into solitary confinement. She gave birth to a daughter there and died of blood loss several days later. Her daughter may still be alive, but she knows nothing of her mother's fate, because she was adopted. Those important historical moments oblige me to preside me over the solemn liturgy on International Romani Day. We are members of one Christian family, including citizens of Romani nationality, and common witnesses of the faith.
- "TOGETHER WE CAN" - celebrations of International Romani Day in Prague focus on interethnic cooperation
- Romani celebrity addresses Czech Senate on International Day of Holocaust Remembrance
- Cardinal Duka leads prayers for Romani victims of Lety
- Cardinal Duka to attend commemoration of Romani victims of Nazism in Lety by Písek
- Slovak Police President defends intervention against Roma, says batons were brandished but nobody was struck
- Slovak Interior Minister, Police President agree filmed intervention against Romani residents must be investigated
- Stano Daniel: Will a renovated nursery school have to close in Romania? Support for Romani child development is crucial
- Slovak President Kiska visits anti-extremist event and Romani settlement on the same day
- Slovak Rapporteur for Roma on police brutality in Zborov: The intervention was inadequate
- Slovakia: Romani youth successfully fundraises online for study trip to Japan
- Czech Republic: Project gets Non-Roma to visit Roma in their homes
- "Journey to the Past" will mark Roma Genocide Remembrance Day at Auschwitz this August
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture opens retrospective of photographer Nihad Nino Pušija
- Czech nursery school registrations have opened - five-year-olds must enroll or their parents face a fine
- Czech poll finds respondents like Romani people least of any group - 76 % dislike them
- France: Journalist sentenced to six months for racist articles about immigrants from the Maghreb and Romani people
Tags:action, Dominik Duka, Křesťané, Romani people
videoSlovakia: Romani politician says if video of police brutality did not exist, authorities would probably have never investigated28.5.2017 13:19
the scene and today it is anticipated that his criminal prosecution will begin and that a motion will be filed to remand him into custody on suspicion of murder.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.