Czech Cardinal on International Romani Day: We are all members of the same Christian family
News server Romea.cz has asked Cardinal Dominik Duka about his motivation for accepting a request to celebrate Mass on International Romani Day in Prague. His entire response is presented in translation below.
Mass for the common life of all nationalities in the Czech Republic
- WHEN: 8. 4. 2017, 11:00
- WHERE: Church of the Sacred Heart, Prague 3 (Jiřího z Poděbrad Square)
Statement by Cardinal Duka
There are two reasons I have gladly decided to serve this pilgrimage church service for citizens of Romani nationality. The first reason is that it is a significant event in our country, so to welcome the gathering, and I am the chair of the Czech Bishops' Conference, historically considered the successor to Saint Adalbert, in the country where that saint fought for equality and against the sale of slaves. Prague was the biggest slave market in Central Europe for two entire centuries - in the ninth, 10th and into the 11th century. Those were the struggles of Saint Adalbert and of Saint Václav before him. I think it is appropriate to remind us all that even today we are still not approaching others as we should. Yes, we talk about human equality and human rights, but we still manage to divide people into a caste system.
The second reason is that the church is doing its best to support ethnic Romani people worldwide. The beatification of the first Romani man, Zefferino Giménez Malla, took place in 1997 under Pope John Paul II. Zeffirino paid with his life during the Spanish Civil War of the 1930s. Now Pope Francis has also beatified a 23-year-old woman of Romani origin, Emilia Fernández Rodríguez. She was imprisoned after her husband refused to go to fight alongside the Revolutionary Guards, who devastated cathedrals and monasteries in Spain during the Civil War. One of her fellow prisoners taught her the rosary, and when the brave young woman refused to betray the name of her spiritual teacher, she was thrown into solitary confinement. She gave birth to a daughter there and died of blood loss several days later. Her daughter may still be alive, but she knows nothing of her mother's fate, because she was adopted. Those important historical moments oblige me to preside me over the solemn liturgy on International Romani Day. We are members of one Christian family, including citizens of Romani nationality, and common witnesses of the faith.
- "TOGETHER WE CAN" - celebrations of International Romani Day in Prague focus on interethnic cooperation
- Romani celebrity addresses Czech Senate on International Day of Holocaust Remembrance
- Cardinal Duka leads prayers for Romani victims of Lety
- Cardinal Duka to attend commemoration of Romani victims of Nazism in Lety by Písek
- Monika Mihaličková: Why it's important that we Roma support each other
- Romani psychology student who is a ROMEA scholarship winner featured on Czech Television
- International Roma flag to fly on buildings throughout Czech Republic tomorrow for Roma Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Czech Government "takes note" of Report on the State of the Romani Minority for 2016
- Head of Czech development aid organization notices situation in Romani ghettos all but unchanged
- US media cover alleged problems between Romani immigrants and locals, many say prejudice is to blame
- USA: Petition to rename the "Gypsy" series warns of dangerous stereotypes
- Czech town's "Multicolored Festival" will feature Romani rapper from Slovakia
- Czech Republic: Commemoration of Romani partisan will plant tree in his honor
- Tomáš Ščuka: Unwritten social rules make racism against the Romani minority socially acceptable
- Czech Republic: Family of Romani man shot dead in Chomutov doesn't want demonstrations
- Czech-French film features young Romani actor in lead role
Tags:action, Dominik Duka, Křesťané, Romani people
Czech Police charge man who urged daughter to practice beating Muslims or Romani people with a baseball bat17.9.2017 17:51
Czech Deputy Trade Minister's pay is docked after posting to Facebook that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and useless"15.9.2017 14:43
He will be losing his quarterly salary as a result.
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.