Czech city refutes allegations that Romani people get public transport, swimming pool access and taxi service for free
Recently, a hoax that is several years old has been spreading on the Czech Internet again, claiming that Romani residents of Most get free public transport, free access to the municipal swimming pool, and free taxi service covered by the municipality. The chain e-mails are not only wrong, but also very dangerous, according to Most officials, because they contribute to escalating social tensions.
"There is no special benefit covering the entrance fee to the swimming pool or taxis. All children under the age of 15 and all seniors over the age of 65 ride public transport for free in Most, so they are eligible to do so by their age and by no other parameter. In addition, since January 2012 the City of Most no longer disburses social benefits according to any parameter, because as part of the public administration's reorganization, that activity was transferred to Labor Offices," said Mayor Jan Paparega, adding that the city is also not buying anybody refrigerators or washing machines.
"People forward these e-mails to each other, share them, and unfortunately many even fall for them," the city said in a press release. This is not the first time such nonsense has spread on the Czech Internet.
Similar hoaxes have been spreading here for many years. In 2019, disinformation spread in the north of Bohemia, specifically in Ústí nad Labem.
In 2014, Most's Technical Services had to refute allegations that Roma were being given free entry to the municipal swimming pool. The same rumor spread in 2010 in Havířov.
- Czech Foreign Minister says a national strategy to combat antisemitism is in the works and Romani people also face hatred online
- Leaders of Czech Parliament: Society must not ignore aggression. Museum of Romani Culture director commemorated the Holocaust and its Romani victims with them in the Senate
- Czech patrolman said to have been disciplined after calling Romani children "brats" and threatening to assault their mother
- Czech city fines local activist for hanging artwork combining the Czech and Romani flags on International Romani Day
- E-mail, Twitter accounts of former Czech PM hacked to spread racist slogans
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazis hack e-mail and Facebook accounts of anti-racist activists and candidates
- Czech Labor Office calls spam e-mail about Romani people "lies and nonsense"
- Czech real estate agency and town file charges over thousands of e-mails rumoring "influx" of Romani people
- Czech Republic: Romani activist gets threatening e-mails, swastika graffiti on front door
- Czech Republic: More anti-minority rumors spreading through e-mail
- USA: Racist murderer in Buffalo, New York charged with hate crimes, faces death penalty
- Czech intelligence report on extremism mentions welfare chauvinist party as a populist, xenophobic entity once more, COVID-19 was the main focus of 2021
- Czech analyst compares disinformation purveyors to the untrustworthy sellers of overpriced cookware
- Czech activist: Refuting the half-truths, rumors and untruths spreading about the Romani mothers and children fleeing Russia's war on Ukraine
- Czech ex-lawmaker gets six months, suspended for one year, for his remark about the WWII-era concentration camp for Roma at Lety u Písku
- Czech Constitutional Court sides with attorney Klára Kalibová: The criminality of hateful e-mails cannot be downplayed by the courts
- Czechoslovak Romani Union: Aid to those fleeing war is our moral obligation, we reject the rhetoric of refugees "taking our jobs"
- DECEPTIVE HOAX: No, Amazon has not fired 400 workers in Czech Republic because of refugees from Ukraine
- Patrik Banga: Here we go! Some people even envy the Ukrainians their bombed-out houses!
- Czech ultra-nationalists establish political nonprofit think-tank to support "patriots"
- Pro-Kremlin fakery and manipulation: What to make of Russian claims of Ukraine's alleged "genocide", Fascism and Nazism?
- Czech Internet association finally blocks servers spreading disinformation about COVID-19, refugees and Roma - their pro-Kremlin disinformation was a step too far