Czech documentary about Romani footballers premiered yesterday in Prague
After the unanticipated cancellation of the premiere of the documentary film "FC ROMA" at the stadium of the Bohemians Praha 1905 football club earlier this week, the film was screened at a different location yesterday evening. The Containall arts and entertainment space in Prague's Lesser Quarter agreed to be the venue.
The film by Rozálie Kohoutová and Tomáš Bojar was prevented from being screened at the stadium by the Bohemians Praha 1905 Fan Club, who justified their proposal by saying it would constitute a "serious security threat" because factions of fans who do not share the same politics would clash during the event. The Fan Club has agreed with its members to thoroughly eliminate any "political" topics from their events.
The filmmakers unequivocally reject the idea that their documentary is political in nature and allege that it is the complications regarding its premiere, caused by the football club fans, that have politicized it. Together with the HateFree Culture campaign, the film's distribution partner, the filmmakers have expressed the view that nobody should back down in the face of such pressure.
The film investgates the issue of race through the eyes of a football club competing in a district championship that is predominantly comprised of Romani players. It was screened this summer at the Karlovy Vary Film Festival before its official premiere.
That premiere was held yesterday at 20:00. The capacity of the venue was smaller than that of the stadium, but organizers said they "welcome fans of film and sport irrespective of race, religion, or which football team they support".
- Czech football club backed down to racists within its own fan base over documentary screening
- Czech football club cancels screening of documentary about Romani footballers after fans threaten violence
- Czech Republic: Romani football trainer keeps children in the ghettos away from drugs
- Goal of his career! Romani footballer Ricardo Quaresma sends Portugal to EURO 2016 quarterfinals
- Highest-paid Hungarian footballer of all time is Romani
- Hungary: Football hooligans assault and injure refugees at Budapest train station
- Czech football fans hang up Islamophobic banner during match, team later apologizes
- Commentary: Football still trumps immigration demonstrations for the Czech public
- Czech football hooligans attack Romani youth, Roma plan to demonstrate
- Czech Republic: Romani footballers play embassy employees
- Czech Republic: Embassy employees invite rejected Romani footballers to protest match
- BBC: England team's first Romany footballer 'deserves recognition'
- HATTRICK: Famous Romani footballers
- Greek footballer banned for life from national team after Nazi salute
- Czech fans spread rumors about Romani football subsidy
- British football fan does prison time, gets lifetime ban for racism
- Czech football team models clothing brand with neo-Nazi associations
- Germany: Neo-Nazis plan brawl for tomorrow's football finals in Munich
- Germany: 750 neo-Nazis celebrate Hitler's birthday, police confiscate their materials
- VIDEO: First-instance verdict in the Chomutov shooting case - 12.5 years
- BREAKING NEWS: Czech shooter of Romani man gets 12.5 years in prison
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Slovak appeals court confirms that town discriminated against Romani woman and must compensate her
- Vojtěch Pačan: The gadje turned out in person for the Prague demonstration, but Romani people only express their criticism on Facebook
- TODAY!!! Romani people to demonstrate against racism on 17 March in Prague's Klárov Park
- Slovak ultra-right MP tried for extremism after making xenophobic remarks about Roma
- Czech memorial to Romani genocide desecrated with pig's head
- Bosnia: Romani actor passes away in poverty after being lauded by Berlinale Film Festival in 2013
- Margareta Matache and Cornel West on the common struggle of African Americans and Roma against white normativity
- Czech MP spreads disinformation alleging that Florida school shooter was an Antifa member
Tags:documentary film, Film, Fotbal, Racism
Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg will attend public discussion of the future memorial at Romani genocide site in Lety22.4.2018 10:31
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.